Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk View Post
But a 105 (with a few Sabot and HEAT) is probably the way to go, even if bores in the 75-90 mm range have proved effective as assault guns, simply because they'll be used in an AT role anyway if Battalion and Company Commanders are given even a quarter of a chance to do so. But even the short 76 mm is probably sufficient for most assault gun tasks
After I last posted I went off and did a bit of note checking, and the only real advantage of 105mm is that you can get effective "payload" like AP, Flare, and Smoke, but that's about it. Flare isn't much good unless you have high trajectory, so all in all a 120mm mortar turret system seems to be optimum choice if you want something heavier than 90mm. - but I see the doctrinal conflict of having mortars in DIRECT support.

Quote Originally Posted by Distiller View Post
a.) I see Stryker - as it is used - in conflict with MRAPs, a protected motorized infantry vehicle.

B.) On the Gavins: I think if they'd invested as many ressources into M113 as they did to convert the Piranha into the Stryker, the M113, esp in version A4 would have been a quite suitable vehicle.
a.) MRAPs are probably what Stryker should have been, given a bit of lateral thinking.

B.) Correct me if I am wrong, but there is no such vehicle as the Gavin.