Thread: UK military problems & policies

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

At the risk of sticking out my neck for a piss take.....

One thing that is predictable in America is grass roots patriotism. Not to say that it isn't alive and well else where. I do not want to cast Americans as war mongering or violent at all, it is just when something like 9/11 happens, you see a huge upswing in recruiting. It is hard to explain. The same thing happened in 90-91 with Desert Storm. It is not that Americans love a good fight, it is just the inbuilt desire to serve.

I know this spirit is alive and well in the British Army. I worked with as fine a group of lads at the Gunnery School as any I have encountered. I would serve on operations with any of them, without question. I think it is, as previously stated, an issue of political will.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tankguy View Post
    At the risk of sticking out my neck for a piss take.....

One thing that is predictable in America is grass roots patriotism. Not to say that it isn't alive and well else where. I do not want to cast Americans as war mongering or violent at all, it is just when something like 9/11 happens, you see a huge upswing in recruiting. It is hard to explain. The same thing happened in 90-91 with Desert Storm. It is not that Americans love a good fight, it is just the inbuilt desire to serve.

I know this spirit is alive and well in the British Army. I worked with as fine a group of lads at the Gunnery School as any I have encountered. I would serve on operations with any of them, without question. I think it is, as previously stated, an issue of political will.
    You were at Lulworth? I was in Bovington two weeks ago doing research, went for a run and went out on the range at Arish Mell Gap. You probably blew up old Chieftains around there. Pretty place.

Ahhh, there are some of my fondest memories. Not blowing up Chieftans, but the view of Arish Mell Gap from St. Andrew's and Bindon ranges. Absolutely beautiful. I lived on Bindon Close just south of the main camp and the views walking up the hill to work in the morning were spectacular. The sun rising and lighting up the cliffs on St. Aldam's Head were impressive.

Default British Army has too many officers....

Under the full headline 'British Army has too many officers and not enough rank-and-file soldiers', see the Daily Telegraph story: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-soldiers.html

In summary: There are almost 1,000 more trained officers on the Army payroll than the force needs to do its work. But among the ranks, there is a shortfall of 4,400 - the equivalent of around seven infantry battalions.

My emphasis added.

davidbfpo

Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
    Under the full headline 'British Army has too many officers and not enough rank-and-file soldiers', see the Daily Telegraph story: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-soldiers.html

In summary: There are almost 1,000 more trained officers on the Army payroll than the force needs to do its work. But among the ranks, there is a shortfall of 4,400 - the equivalent of around seven infantry battalions.

My emphasis added.

davidbfpo

OK

Let's get 'em seconded to the US Army to fill our needs for officers....a reverse lend lease

I can relate to that story. It seemed that of all the courses I taught during my three years in sunny Lulworth, all the officer courses were full to capacity. The enlisted courses were usually short.

Thumbs down Sad

Apparently the UK Army's problems relate to hotel stays as well.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7596798.stm

A soldier home on leave after being injured in Afghanistan was refused a room by a hotel when he showed his military ID card at reception.

Corporal Tomos Stringer, 23, from Gwynedd, was visiting a wounded colleague in Surrey when he was turned away from the Metro Hotel in Woking.

He spent the night in his car after being told it was management policy not to accept military personnel.
    The hotel has apologized, but really, that is low.
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?