Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
As a police officer I would expect to be properly equipped and given clear directions if being sent to a live, violent crime incident. Despatching a police unit to for example a riot without the right equipment is dangerous, if not foolhardy.

I understand that most peacekeepers expect to keep the peace, using a variety of well-documented methods and that bloodshed is minimised. Sending a lightly-armed peacekeeping contingent to Chad would be dangerous for those involved. Peace enforcement is a different mission.

I have little doubt that few national governments would allocate forces to Chad if it was high-risk and bloodshed likely. No-one wants to see a repeat of what happened in Rwanda.

There are a small number of UN contributors who have been prepared to be robust and risk casualties.

If anyone wants to volunteer their nation for the Chad mission step forward.

davidbfpo
I think its probably important that we remember how many other nations besides ours are also in the circumstance of their plates being full. The broad spectrum of operations which have been taking place through the last years have pushed many if not most beyond the limits of their capacity to keep up.

This is most definitely a part of AQ and others "strategy" as several here have more than adequately shown. It cost very little in blood and treasure to create chaos and on the flipside heavy investment of such in order to address said chaos. It seems to be a fact that some situations may have to play themselves out to a certain point before being addressed by outside parties in other than advisory and other such capacities. Sad but unfortunately life.\

This would seem to be one of the key supporting factors for preventative infrastructure support in such areas before they reach this point. Many a time once the cats out the bag theres little to do except wait for it to get tired before trying to catch it. Too bad considering how many lives are often lost due to that very thing.

On that note what can be done in order to help facilitate less drastic effects from this.