Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chad (merged thread)

Council Member

SWP Comments, 19 Feb 08: The Chad Crisis and Operation EUFOR Chad/CAR
    Recent fighting between three rebel groups and the Chadian army calls into question the deployment and purpose of Operation EUFOR Chad/CAR, which the Council of the European Union launched on 15 October 2007. The escalation of violence and open French political and military support for the authoritarian regime of President Idriss Déby have fundamentally changed the political circumstances under which the EU operation will be deployed. Therefore, the EU should re-examine EUFOR's underlying purposes. It should also consider abandoning the entire operation.....

Default Armchair views vindicated?

Quote:

'If the civil war remains a new high level - what will the French reaction be? Limited to protection of French and other nationals? Secondly the EU intervention, planned to be based in Eastern Chad on the Darfur border, will disappear, far too dangerous for EU members, let alone logistics. With a knock-on effect on the Darfur intervention (EU, AU & UN). Wily Sudanese win again.

Nice to know my armchair viewpoint two weeks ago had some good points.

davidbfpo

Am I way off base here or is not sending peace keepers in because fighting has broken out a bit like not sending police in because crimes are being comitted?

SFC W

Post That Said

Quote Originally Posted by Uboat509 View Post
    Am I way off base here or is not sending peace keepers in because fighting has broken out a bit like not sending police in because crimes are being comitted?

SFC W
    Would we really expect anything different?

Default The right force for the mission

As a police officer I would expect to be properly equipped and given clear directions if being sent to a live, violent crime incident. Despatching a police unit to for example a riot without the right equipment is dangerous, if not foolhardy.

I understand that most peacekeepers expect to keep the peace, using a variety of well-documented methods and that bloodshed is minimised. Sending a lightly-armed peacekeeping contingent to Chad would be dangerous for those involved. Peace enforcement is a different mission.

I have little doubt that few national governments would allocate forces to Chad if it was high-risk and bloodshed likely. No-one wants to see a repeat of what happened in Rwanda.

There are a small number of UN contributors who have been prepared to be robust and risk casualties.

If anyone wants to volunteer their nation for the Chad mission step forward.

davidbfpo

Post Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
    As a police officer I would expect to be properly equipped and given clear directions if being sent to a live, violent crime incident. Despatching a police unit to for example a riot without the right equipment is dangerous, if not foolhardy.

I understand that most peacekeepers expect to keep the peace, using a variety of well-documented methods and that bloodshed is minimised. Sending a lightly-armed peacekeeping contingent to Chad would be dangerous for those involved. Peace enforcement is a different mission.

I have little doubt that few national governments would allocate forces to Chad if it was high-risk and bloodshed likely. No-one wants to see a repeat of what happened in Rwanda.

There are a small number of UN contributors who have been prepared to be robust and risk casualties.

If anyone wants to volunteer their nation for the Chad mission step forward.

davidbfpo
    I think its probably important that we remember how many other nations besides ours are also in the circumstance of their plates being full. The broad spectrum of operations which have been taking place through the last years have pushed many if not most beyond the limits of their capacity to keep up.

This is most definitely a part of AQ and others "strategy" as several here have more than adequately shown. It cost very little in blood and treasure to create chaos and on the flipside heavy investment of such in order to address said chaos. It seems to be a fact that some situations may have to play themselves out to a certain point before being addressed by outside parties in other than advisory and other such capacities. Sad but unfortunately life.\

This would seem to be one of the key supporting factors for preventative infrastructure support in such areas before they reach this point. Many a time once the cats out the bag theres little to do except wait for it to get tired before trying to catch it. Too bad considering how many lives are often lost due to that very thing.

On that note what can be done in order to help facilitate less drastic effects from this.

Council Member

Default Intel support for stability ops - Chad case study

From Kent's Imperative:

We continue to be impressed with the uses for commercial overhead imagery which the private sector now increasingly relies upon in an astounding array of situations. While none of these applications are new from the perspective of an intelligence community which has been employing national technical means to similar ends for decades, their independent re-discovery in the outside world, and operationalization in support of crisis situations, remains fascinating from the perspective of intelligence studies scholarship.

The most recent example comes from the conflict in Chad - which provides an excellent and evolving unclassified teaching case to explore the issues involved in small wars and destabilizing countries, particularly for the unique kinds of intelligence support required in noncombatant evacuation operations and other stability and support missions. UNOSAT has recently released a series of products derived from commercial satellite data which attempt to estimate the scale of urban evacuation of the capital of N´Djamena.
    For the Chad maps mentions, go here and click on the chad link.

Council Member

USIP, 15 Dec 08: Toward Resolving Chad’s Interlocking Conflicts
    ....In October 2008, USIP and the International Peace Institute, in collaboration with Caring for Kaela, sponsored a multi-stakeholder consultation to address the political instability in Chad and its regional implications. The attendees included representatives from the Chadian diaspora, ambassadors from countries in the region, U.N. and EU representatives and experts from the non-governmental community and academia.

This report summarizes the consultation’s main themes and recommendations. The first section addresses the security, political and humanitarian situation in Chad; examines the August 13 Political Agreement between the Chadian government and opposition parties and suggests ideas for the way forward. The second section focuses on the regional dynamics, including the tension between Chad and Sudan, the crisis in the Central African Republic (CAR) and progress on the implementation of the Dakar Agreement, a pan-African initiative. The third section examines the international response to the crisis in Chad, including the role of the EU and U.N. and critical international stakeholders such as France, the U.S., and China......

Default Chadian–Libyan conflict, Toyota War

Hello everyone,
    I am a student majoring in military history and I would like to write a capstone paper about the Chadian-Libyan conflict, specifically the "Toyota War". I cannot find any primary sources or books on the matter. Do you have any recommendations or suggestions?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 09-26-2010 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Moved to RFI from Africa thread and PM to author

Default Maybe a pointer

Alas SWC appeared a long time after the war and there is little here on a quick check. Always use the search feature!

It was very much a French issue, so perhaps this French news site can help, if behind a registration / paywall: http://thecroissant.com/index.html

Try some French military sites / journals.

One of the intriguing aspects were the complex international politics, Iraq supported the French as Libya then was an opponent. Didn't the USAF assist with transporting French supplies in?
    davidbfpo

Council Member

Default Chad resource

Try a PM to this guy, M-A Lagrange. Chad was one of his operational areas; now the South Sudan.

Welcome to the forum.

Bonne Chance

Mike

Default French Foreign Legion?

Might be worthwhile looking at Foreign Legion memoirs by ex-members, there' s often a few on library and bookshop shelves. I have a recollection that some have chapters on this conflict.
    davidbfpo

You might also try Mission Aviation Fellowship and Air Serv International. They may have had some aircraft based in Chad at the time and you could get some worms eye view stories from pilots or mechanics. I remember one guy telling me how he watched a Libyan jet get shot down over the airport.
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene

Default Publish here when done?

student2010,

Please consider posting your paper here at the end. Even submit for the SWJ Blog.
    davidbfpo

Hello,

I will try to help.
    What are you talking about first of all?
    Are you talking about Operation Manta or Operation Epervier?
    I believe we are here on Op Manta. But I might be wrong.
    Some links with web sites and blogs about the subject.
    http://www.7septembre.fr/index.php
    A nice web site with a short film on the destruction of a Libyan bomber plane by French troops.
    http://www.abebooks.fr/OPERATION-MAN.../1330480997/bd
    A book in french on Operation Manta that preceded the operation epervier.
    A blog from a Troupe de marine colonel on Operation Manta:
    http://fncv-drome.over-blog.com/article-29446462.html
    The site of the paratroopers Legionaires on operation Manta
    http://paralegion.free.fr/manta.php
    And the revue Heracles from the French Army:
    http://www.cdef.terre.defense.gouv.f.../01H_retex.pdf

I hope this will help.

M-A

Yes, I am referring to Operation Mantra. Thanks guys! I can't express my appericiation enough. I will definitely post my paper after I finish it. Right now, I am trying to determine if I can find enough good quality primary sources so that I can write a Capstone thesis paper. I would love to also find primary Chadian sources, if possible.

Although this link is to the board game included in the old Strategy & Tactics magazine, the accompanying articles / bibliography might be able to help also:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardga...he-toyota-wars

Brant
    Wargaming and Strategy Gaming at Armchair Dragoons
    Military news and views at GrogNews

“their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of ‘rights’… and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure.” Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers 1959

Play more wargames!

I have been trying to get my hands on the board war game! Thank you for the recommendation. I was thinking along the same lines. I believe there is another war game about the Toyota War. I will definitely check those out. I was even thinking of creating another war game on the Toyota War and the current conflict between Chad, the Central African Republic, and the Sudan.

Just be careful about the names. IIRC, S&T got in some trouble for the use of "Toyota" in the title.
    Brant
    Wargaming and Strategy Gaming at Armchair Dragoons
    Military news and views at GrogNews

“their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of ‘rights’… and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure.” Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers 1959

Play more wargames!

You might also have a look at Kenneth Pollack's Arabs at War. If I recall correctly, he discusses that war and if so his bibliography would have something on it.