Of couse I am not suggesting that infantry should walk ALL the times, also not suggesting that you should sell rather than argue. As long as the weapons stay the same there is not major leap forward in infantry tactics. Please treat each other as reasonable (is this the correct word?) people.

As a classical mechanised maneuver would cost too much even for the winner (imagine Georgia 2008 on a bigger scale, and please don't tell me it is not relevant. It is the closest to relevant.) there are other ways a state must pursue in reaching its goals. You know it much better than I do, that there is a certain level in wars when there are political decisions with military effects. And these are usually not covered in mil hist books. We are talking about grand strategy where the military is only one if many aspects. Since the normal modus operandi of the armed forces is seriously restricted other means must step forward. Media and global trade can have the same or better results than outright violence with much less hassle. Just like the carrier replaced the battleship. You keep asking me why I think media is that important. Because it is THE weapon in the clash of wills. While the US is not affected by an embargo say of muslim fashion designers it would hard hit by a media-led stoppage of weapons import. In the present time of cheap (and small!!) videocameras/mobile phones capable of recording (see that girl shot dead by a basiji in Iran) and filesharing sites you cannot leave the media (public opinion) out of quotation. That one single video of no more than 5 minutes caused more harm to Ahmedinejad than his mumblings. Or see the quoted case of Fallujah.
As of global markets you don't need anymore to destroy your opponent's armies and occupy some important turf as someone said to bring it its knees. One small secret maneuver with its currency and it is begging for mercy. Russia has bought off half Austria controlling more of it than it had between 1945-1955. Thanks to global markets it does not matter that it does not have a single soldier on austrian soil. It continously denies even the existence of the "energy weapon" yet it uses to strangle a west orientated Ukraine, to influence EU decisions etc. And believe me they are doing it in according to a complex master plan, where politics, economy, culture and military all play their part. That's the least you can expect from a nation whose national sport is chess.

Sad or not war is getting out of fashion just as major epidemies have vanished. Yet interests remain. What is the solution? I don't exactly know. I only can guess that age old, in the west long forgotten methods will be combined with new technolgies and concepts. And if we don't continously strive to be ahead of the competition we can loose our advatage (real or not but since the others also believe that it exists we can accept its existence). I am sorry Wilf but clinging to the notion that there is no significant change on the way IMHO is more damaging than examining such wild theories as 5GW, nanoterrorists and stuff.