Quote Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Cognitive biases are pretty well understood already. Hopefully this isn't reinventing the wheel, particularly since this is contracted research.
is anyone like, you know, doing anything about that?

All the real benefit I saw was in the last item quoted: "...and (c) to examine the viability of counter-measures aimed at reducing or eliminating them...."

That biases are known to exist and the issue is recognized is totally true, my perception is that little has been done to correct the problem for fear of trampling artistic little psyches (pardon my hyperbole and present company excepted but there are some out there...) OR, far more importantly, of not giving the Boss what he's looking for by skewing the analytical process to suit.

I will avoid mention of an overwhelming desire on the part of some to never be wrong. That based on the rationale that if you do not go out on a limb, they cannot or will not cut it off... (An attitude that I have on a couple of occasions seen proven mistaken by irate Commanders not apprised of all that was known. ).

Agree with your sentiment on contractors but have to point out that in-house studies tend to reach foregone conclusions (dare I say preordained?) and little changes. Outside studies sometimes have an effect.