Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Zimbabwe: 2007 till Mugabe resigns

And the saga continues....from BBC: Mugabe critic on treason charge.
    The secretary general of Zimbabwe's main opposition party will be charged with treason and faces a possible death sentence, the police have said.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

African leaders unite to denounce Mugabe’s violence

In a rare reprimand, Botswana called in the Zimbabwean Ambassador to protest about Mr Biti’s arrest and the repeated detention of the opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai. Forty of Africa’s most prominent figures, including the former leaders of Ghana, Nigeria and Mozambique, also signed an open letter calling for the violence to cease.
    About damn time and it figures Botswana would take the first real step...

Because South Africa clearly is not stepping up...

South Africa: going south
    Mbeki's failures are damaging not his own country, but its neighbours, too

The atrocities now being committed daily in Zimbabwe have reached a bestial nadir. Those daring to challenge Robert Mugabe are beaten and killed. Their wives are mutilated and burnt alive in their homes. Their villages are denied food and their families starved into submission. The bravery and tenacity, nevertheless, of Morgan Tsvangirai and fellow opposition supporters is extraordinary and heartening.

What is appalling, however, is that as Zimbabwe disintegrates, the country that could have done much to halt the brutalities and avert the chaos stands by in shameful silence. South Africa's failure to curb Mr Mugabe's excesses is a terrible indictment of its leadership. But it is also a warning. South Africa itself is in trouble. The powerhouse of Africa is running out of power.
    Last edited by Tom Odom; 06-14-2008 at 02:08 PM.

Default The solution is closer to home

Much diplomatic and media comment has been expended on urging Zimbabwe's neighbours, notably South Africa, and the wider African community to pressurise Zimbabwe to allow free elections. Alas South Africa's current government shows little sign of changing its policy, which is effectively to do nothing.

The only people who can change Zimbabwe, to allow free elections, are those in charge now - ZANU-PF and their police / military partners. An unlikely prospect.

So who can bring change? The people of Zimbabwe in the forthcoming presidential election, if they vote and do not vote for Mugabe.

There was a BBC radio report today from a rural part of Zimbabwe, which traditionally voted for ZANU-PF, that suggests the voters have decided not to vote for Mugabe. Alas the election is not going to be free, fair and counted in a way we would understand is democratic. Refer: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...nt/7452828.stm

A few hours ago the BBC reported a speech by Mugabe that he would go to war to stay in power. See: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7454569.stm

Just found a report that some are violently reacting to ZANU-PF: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...we-846947.html

davidbfpo
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 06-14-2008 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Add links

David -

Excellent links. I'm already missing the BBC's excellent Zimbabwe coverage. Fortunately their NewsPod podcast has some good insights. . .

. . .to what extent do we think the military controls the countryside? Intimidation may be an easier job for the Mugabe-controlled state forces in Harare than around the country. The repeated incidents with US/UK diplomats and NGOs and the like are, I would guess, an effort to get to those he can't physically reach by portraying the outsiders as meddling with Zimbabwe on behalf of the opposition - nothing quite like an old rally-round-the-flag operation. . .

Regards,

Matt
    "Give a good leader very little and he will succeed. Give a mediocrity a great deal and he will fail." - General George C. Marshall

Default Dinner with Mugabe

I just had the occasion to watch a interview with Heidi Holland, author of the new book on Mugabe, titled Dinner with Mugabe. Seems it is titled as such because she was somewhat intertwined with the nationalist movement at one point, and was making dinner for a meeting that involved 'ole Robert. The book offers a psychological profile of sorts on Mugabe, and explains his transition from freedom fighter to tyrant. She made it very clear that he had indeed become a tyrant, and offered the following observations in the interview (many are paraphrased to the best I can recall).

-Mugabe had significant hopes and dreams for Zimbabwe in the wake of the Lancaster House Agreement, but he was trapped by not only the white Rhodesians, but also by the British, in terms of how he had hoped they would support the new regime.
    -He has fancied himself a somewhat British-styled fellow, despite the gharish colorful shirts and baseball caps. He would prefer to be thought of as a gentleman, but his public vilification has in fact contributed to his tyrannical ways. (Of note, I don't recall her saying that he could turn back from that precipice though)
    -He came from a very deprived background, so he is socially and psychologically deprived as a result. In her words, "he loves his books better than he loves people." His pursuit of intellectualism would seem to have made him a socialyl closed man with few close friends, and perhaps trapped in his own painful emotional world.
    -Mugabe would very much enjoy the offer of a visit to 10 Downing Street, and perhaps after that he might be convinced to step aside in a few years. He has a certain social need that is not being fulfilled, and so until then he will continue to be a fly in the ointment of states that have humiliated him over the years (akin to Castro?)
    -Mugabe is almost at the point of wanting someone to stop him and all of his shenanigans, but no one will, so he continues to push the limits of his rule.

I suspect that I will definitely be adding the book to my reading queue, as it seems to be well written and thoughtfully devised. Although he won't receive a pardon from history for the explanation it provides, it seems to explain him nonetheless.

A Holland piece that follows the line of the book is here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/apr/05/zimbabwe
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 06-15-2008 at 09:24 AM.

Default New Mugabe book

I'm catching up on my reading and Jon reminds me of this new book, here is a UK review from The Spectator: http://www.spectator.co.uk/the-magaz...f-africa.thtml

Taken from a long review by Trevor Grundy, sent via a Zimbabwe emailing and very telling - makes you wonder that buying the book is unwise:

This is a book worth reading despite its many shortcomings. Ms Holland experienced nothing of political or ordinary life in Zimbabwe from 1982 (she tells us she left the country just ahead of Mugabe's secret police) until she returned to Harare last November when she waited weeks in a local hotel for an interview with the Man Himself one of the strangest interviews I've read in my career as a journalist with some of the author's questions, put to him during a two and a half hours interview at State House, bordering on inanity. Ms Holland is also limited by the fact she speaks not a word of either Shona or Sindebele, Zimbabwe's two main local languages. 'Dinner with Mugabe' is a brave but deeply flawed attempt to answer difficult questions about a complicated man. Yet it is still a thought-provoking work that should engage the mind of anyone with a serious interest in post-colonial Southern Africa. But its claim to tell the "untold story of a freedom fighter who became a tyrant" is ludicrously ambitious, even misleading. This is a piece in a jigsaw puzzle, a part worth having - essential even - but little more than that.

davidbpo
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 06-15-2008 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Add second book review

Default Open letter to Zimbabwe

On a Zimbabwe email I get:

Two weeks before the presidential run-off elections in Zimbabwe,over forty prominent African leaders have released an urgent call for free, fair, peaceful, and transparent elections. The open letter was published on July 13 and July 14 in full-page advertisements in South Africa's Business Day, the Financial Times, and the New York Times. The initial signatories included 18 former presidents or prime ministers, two Nobel Laureates, musicians Youssou N'Dour and Angelique Kidjo, and former United Nations Secretaries General Kofi Annan and Boutros Boutros-Ghali. This AfricaFocus Bulletin contains the full letter and list ofinitial signatories. It is also available, and open to additionalsignatories, at http://www.zimbabwe-27june.com

Several interesting names, but the "gem" is that Graca Machel signed, in her own right and remember she is Nelson Mandela's wife. Now, that is a signal. Pity he didn't sign too.

For previous AfricaFocus bulletins on Zimbabwe, see http://www.africafocus.org/country/zimbabwe.php
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 06-15-2008 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Spelling

Default Mapping the violence

From an opposition group's website: http://www.sokwanele.com/map/electionviolence

What is very obvious from this reporting is the focus on rural areas in the North East that traditionally voted ZANU-PF and few incidents in large chunks of the country, notably the West. Since the North East was where ZANU-PF fought before independence it seems the war veterans have turned on their own.

Link to the background information: http://www.sokwanele.com/map/electionviolence/howto
    Link to analysis pie charts: http://www.sokwanele.com/map/electionviolence/analysis
    Link to sample testimony: http://www.sokwanele.com/map/electionviolence/testimony

davidbfpo

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
    What is very obvious from this reporting is the focus on rural areas in the North East that traditionally voted ZANU-PF and few incidents in large chunks of the country, notably the West. Since the North East was where ZANU-PF fought before independence it seems the war veterans have turned on their own.
    If there was any doubt about ZANU-PF's determination, indeed desperation, to hold on to power, the fact that they are sending "war veterans" who have spent less time on this Earth than I have in pubs to dragoon the party's very own political/tribal base into submission does indeed remove any such said doubt. One wonders just what the final ZANU-PF indignity will be that may cause the country's collective twig to snap...and the results of that would not be a pretty sight.

Unhappy I get the wierd feeling that

Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk View Post
    If there was any doubt about ZANU-PF's determination, indeed desperation, to hold on to power, the fact that they are sending "war veterans" who have spent less time on this Earth than I have in pubs to dragoon the party's very own political/tribal base into submission does indeed remove any such said doubt. One wonders just what the final ZANU-PF indignity will be that may cause the country's collective twig to snap...and the results of that would not be a pretty sight.
    Thats a lot closer than we might think. Would almost be willing to bet its one of those lines you cross without knowing it, and I think they may already be there
    Any man can destroy that which is around him, The rare man is he who can find beauty even in the darkest hours

Cogitationis poenam nemo patitur

Default Satellite dishes to go

From a Zimbabwean emailing:

Today the Mugabe junta announced the beginning of yet another operation designed to oppress the people of Zimbabwe. Under Operation 'Pull down your satellite dish' the regime is forcing Zimbabweans to pull down their home satellite dishes This latest operation is a concerted effort by the Mugabe regime to close all spaces through which information can be disseminated, with the objective of stealing the election.

Now that is a different tactic and so visible.

davidbfpo

Default Mbeki says stop the election!

Breaking news from Harare - South Africa has called on Robert Mugabe to cancel next week's presidential election and forge a unity government amid a campaign of violence that today claimed the lives of four more opposition activists.

taken from: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ncel-vote.html

Another sad story, by a white farmer on what is happening: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2157...-Zimbabwe.html

davidbfpo
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 06-19-2008 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Add second link.

And this adds yet another dimension to how low this can go...
    Eyewitness: Raped for opposing Mugabe. Yet it seems fairly certain that the strongmen will continue to have each others' backs....
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Humphrey View Post
    I get the wierd feeling that

Thats a lot closer than we might think. Would almost be willing to bet its one of those lines you cross without knowing it, and I think they may already be there
    As usual Ron, you're way out ahead of me on these things. And if, as you say, that line may have already been crossed without anyone having recognized it at the time, it would indeed help explain the depths to which ZANU-PF will go to hold on to power. Because they probably know better than anyone that as soon as they lose power, they're dog meat, literally.

Red face Not sure Im ever ahead of anyone

Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk View Post
    As usual Ron, you're way out ahead of me on these things. And if, as you say, that line may have already been crossed without anyone having recognized it at the time, it would indeed help explain the depths to which ZANU-PF will go to hold on to power. Because they probably know better than anyone that as soon as they lose power, they're dog meat, literally.
    I stay busy enough just trying to keep up
    Any man can destroy that which is around him, The rare man is he who can find beauty even in the darkest hours

Cogitationis poenam nemo patitur

Default I cry for that country...

...I really, really do.

HARARE, Zimbabwe (CNN) -- Zimbabwe opposition candidate Morgan Tsvangirai said Sunday he would not participate in Friday's presidential runoff, provoking dismay from international observers and handing an apparent victory to President Robert Mugabe.
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/africa/06/22/zimbabwe.main/index.html

just coming in on CNN that Morgan Tsvangirai has formally withdrawn his name from the race...

a Mugabe and Thugs interim win...

Zimbabwe loses
    Last edited by Tom Odom; 06-24-2008 at 08:11 PM.

Those fookers!...

Default No contest election - violence continues

Diplomatic voices raised, Mbeki to change South African policy and the violence continues. Depressing: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...eir-backs.html

I will declare an interest; I visited Zimbabwe in 1983 and found a fantastic country - albeit with serious problems, including repression in Matabeleland. The signs of trouble to come were there, largely from those in the white community who had stayed on. Now we can see a broken people and country whose government are no better than "robber barons".

davidbfpo

Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
    Diplomatic voices raised, Mbeki to change South African policy and the violence continues. Depressing: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...eir-backs.html

I will declare an interest; I visited Zimbabwe in 1983 and found a fantastic country - albeit with serious problems, including repression in Matabeleland. The signs of trouble to come were there, largely from those in the white community who had stayed on. Now we can see a broken people and country whose government are no better than "robber barons".

davidbfpo
    I followed you in 1984 and toured most of the country while driving 6,000 miles in a month across the region. Matabeleland was off limits to us as official US passport holders. The NK trained forces of evil were already at work. Still it was a beautiful country. Vic Falls was a stunning place and the old colonial hotel with the evening cook out and the bar was an oasis of bliss. The country had the frontier feel versus what you found in South Africa where apartheid still ruled. At the time, if I had the opportunity I would have loved to have spent a few years in Zimbabwe and Botswana.

Tom