Thread: Zimbabwe: 2007 till Mugabe resigns

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Robert Mugabe 'ready to bury the opposition'

Refreshed by the ZAPU party conference we have some reporting; from The Daily Telegraph:
    Zimbabwe's Robert Mugabe has said his party is ready to bury his Western-backed opposition "forever" as there are warnings his forces are fanning out across the country in a bid to intimidate voters ahead of elections.
    Link:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...imidation.html

Or the BBC:
    Zimbabwe's President Robert Mugabe has told the BBC of his desire to remain in power after his party endorsed him as an election candidate. On Saturday he closed his party's conference, saying that the power sharing deal with the MDC party is now dead.
    Link, mainly a film clip:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12028675 and a longer written report:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8410357.stm

Elsewhere, on the Zimbabwean expatriate / exile websites, there are more chilling reports; such as this:
    In the last elections, you voted for the wrong party but today I am happy to see all of you here and I assume that you are here because you support the revolutionary party and what Mudha stands for. "If you disagree with what is being said here, then there is nothing I can do about it and if you don’t vote for us in the next election, this country is huge, we will rule even if you don’t want,” Mnangagwa said.

Mnangagwa, who is feared more than he is respected and was previously tipped to take over the party leadership from President Robert Mugabe, said Zimbabwe belonged to Zanu PF which would not hesitate to bless and reward its own sons who defended the cause of the party.
    Link:http://www.zimdiaspora.com/index.php...tips&Itemid=18

Meantime I fear the West will close it's eyes, maybe pray and once more hope SADC (notably President Zuma) can stop such "political campaigning".
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 12-19-2010 at 09:35 PM.
    davidbfpo

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
    Meantime I fear the West will close it's eyes, maybe pray and once more hope SADC (notably President Zuma) can stop such "political campaigning".
    Of course they will close their eyes. Mugabe (using diamond money) will buy off the SADC leaders and it will be business as usual.

Three cruise missiles (at a million a pop) is all that it would take.

Council Member

Default Probably not

this:

from JMA
    Three cruise missiles (at a million a pop) is all that it would take.
    as evidenced by a number of US cruise missile failures to accomplish decapitations.

A adequately resourced invasion, aimed solely at regime removal (not regime change - that left to chance), would have a better probability of success.

Regards

Mike

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jmm99 View Post
    this:

as evidenced by a number of US cruise missile failures to accomplish decapitations.

A adequately resourced invasion, aimed solely at regime removal (not regime change - that left to chance), would have a better probability of success.

Regards

Mike
    Funny that, the US can put a man on the moon but can't seem to get these missiles accurate.

Lets see what happens in the Ivory Coast this year and the Sudan next year.

Council Member

Default VHVTs are evasive & very self-protective

See this Rand monograph, Operations Against Enemy Leaders by Stephen T. Hosmer (11 short pdf downloads at bottom to get entire monograph):

Operations targeted against senior enemy leaders have long been viewed as a potential means of shaping the policy and behavior of enemy states. As a result, the United States has launched a variety of overt and covert operations in efforts to attack enemy leaders directly, facilitate their overthrow by coup or rebellion, or secure their ouster through external invasion. This book examines a number of leadership attacks from World War II to the present to offer insights into the comparative efficacy of various forms of leadership attacks, their potential coercive and deterrent value, and the possible unintended consequences of their ill-considered use. The book concludes that direct attacks, coups, and rebellions have met with only limited success and, even when successful, have sometimes yielded counterproductive results. Moreover, neither direct attacks nor coups have been of significant coercive or deterrent value, although rebellions have at times provided useful negotiating leverage. By contrast, external invasions have proved to be more efficacious both in shaping the targeted countries’ policy and behavior and in exerting coercive effects. The book concludes by outlining the likely conditions under which future leadership attacks are likely to be sanctioned and by delineating the prerequisites of effective use of air power in such contexts.
    Report is from March 2001. Events since have simply re-inforced its conclusion re: regime removal (but I'd say sans nation-building).

BTW: I'm not suggesting that the US get rid of Mugabe. Zimbabwe is outside of the US zone of force projection if I had my druthers.

Regards

Mike

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jmm99 View Post
    BTW: I'm not suggesting that the US get rid of Mugabe.
    Why not? The US put him there... now after a little genocide and the near total destruction of the country they would be obligated to clean up the mess they caused... IMHO.

Council Member

Default Why ?

Because Zimbabwe is outside the line I'd draw if I had my druthers. Africa's problems are to be solved by Africans (Black and White) - IMHO.

Obviously, I do not have the "druthers". Your arguments re: US guilt for real or alleged misdeeds or commitments may or may not influence those who do and who are much more global in their Worldviews - whether guilt-ridden liberals or conservatives. I'm neither.

Regards

Mike