Sir

Yes there has been an agreement on power sharing, however at the present time said agreement appears to be wobbling over who gets what Cabinet position. Mugabe retains his position as Head of the Army, while Tsvangirai gets power over the Police. The CIO (secret police) will apparently be disbanded (transfered to Military Intelligence is more likely). My friends "in-country" tell me that many of those living there are very supportive of all this, however they also say that this support is being driven by complete desperation. Basically things are now so bad, that any relief is welcome.

Most professional commentators and many members of the press, are a lot less enthuisiastic about this state of affairs. There is complete cynicism that Mugabe will ever place himself in any position that leaves him open to charges for genocide etc etc, so real power will always remain his (and to hell with the consequences and everyone who dislikes him etc and forget agreements!) Some are hopeful nevertheless that some good will still come of this, even though when the details are looked at it seems to me and many others that the MDC may have actually just shot itself in the head. We cant find anything tangible that shows ZanuPF have genuinely given up anything.

We have been here before, when Bob forced Joshua Nkomo into talks, we just saw the destruction of the opposition as a result etc. There will be no genuine "deals" while a Mafia remains in control. Even if Mugabe goes, those who have made themselves fabulously and corruptly rich over the last few decades and who were involved in the massacres of the eighties (and 2000, and 2002, and . . . ) will just find themselves another Godfather.

There is also a great deal of pessimism amoungst the Zim diaspora too, and theres no rush to go back home.

A pity really, Mbeki got what he wanted by leaving Mugs in control, the country wallows in despair, and the economy etc continues to decline.

I.R