Thread: Must see DVDs

Banned

Default Must see DVDs

DDilegge

Default DVDs

Quote Originally Posted by GorTex6
    I work with buckeye (member of this BB), she brought in Voices of Iraq so I will make a point of giving it a view. Thanks for the recommendations.

Banned

Voices of Iraq is an "eye opener".

Using a theatrical medium, The Battle for Algiers is accully a guerilla warfare manual.
    Last edited by GorTex6; 10-14-2005 at 11:04 PM.

Default Battle of Algiers

Not really sure what folks see in Battle of Algiers. I don't take too much away from that film from a practical CT perspective. At least, I don't see how it's more valuable than say, Black Hawk Down or Red Dawn or even Fight Club (for a look at the appeal of antisocial ideology and how it spreads).

Battle of Algiers is useful to watch, to be sure, but the Pentagon seems to need rubber pants every time they watch it, and I'm not really sure it rates that kind of reaction.

Banned

I think it shows how insurgents will force overreaction from their opponents through terror campaigns. They rely upon heavy handed responses that punish everyone and further alienates the population; they anticipate a backlash that polarizes the neutral mass away from the coalition. Instead of waiting for a climate that is ripe for insurrection, they create their own(De Focco? or simular to?)

Without specifics, I see this same strategy today behind Iraqi insurgency tactics.
    Last edited by GorTex6; 11-03-2005 at 08:30 AM.