Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
True, our position on International Law has been subject to many blasts from the remainder of the world in my lifetime. Some warranted, some not -- those viewpoint dependent. Gitmo was stupid. Khadr has been mishandled by the ridiculous commission setup, no question but the fact that he was "a child soldier" who deserves release on that count is I believe wrong. He is said to be 'salvageable' and to have modified his attitude. Sorry, I'm an old cynic...
I agree with your goal but would point out that others do not operate that way and while some disadvantage to do the right thing can and should be accepted -- and we do that, all day and every day in many ways and knowingly and willingly give others an advantage -- there had better be limits or we will not be around to do the right thing. Thus, regrettably, I do suspect you're being a bit naively idealistic.
I believe we both are aware that a nation's true motives are usually pretty transparent to the rest of the world. So perhaps the better position to take would be one that does not try to sugar coat what we are up to. Just like any other nation, the US is looking out for numero uno and, perhaps, sees this trial process as a way of not getting caught out in a similar series of "kangaroo court" activities against its own citizens without grounds for protest.

The fact of the matter might more likely be that we are trying these folks not because we want the rest of the world to think we are nice but because some part of our leadership needs to be able to live with its collective conscience and is now trying to justify bad actions after the fact. If I am correct in this line of thinking, then it also goes a long way to explaining the spate of recent "kiss and tell" and other funny justificatory books like McClellan's and Feiths that are coming out of the publishing houses.