Hi Ken,

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
That's why I said the majority (including all the Talib) should've simply been declared PW and confined in Afghanistan. The real issue is with the non-Taliban types, the AQ folks who do not merit the protection you propose and the GC offers and with which I agree.
Unfortunately, AQ might, and I say that advisedly and with much gnashing of teeth, fall under the "other militias" clause. Totally agree that the Taliban should have been declared POWs which, BTW, would include Khadr.

The UN is NOT a legislative body; they may propose things to their hearts content but they do not produce laws. Yes, Law is all about definitions or, more correctly, pocket lining arguments about definitions but it becomes sort of counterproductive when attempts to apply it fly in the face of common sense. A 15 year old can kill you just as dead as can a 30 year old.
Disagree with the first, but agree with the rest . The problem with most supra-national bodies is that they have what, for want of a better term, might be called "para-legislative" powers - they are legislative upon states, not individuals. It's awkward in oh so many ways...

Not to start a food fight but instead of looking down noses at the people who simply apprehended a 'child' being where he should not have been and doing something he should not have been doing and correctly in my view attempting to punish him for that, folks might want to look at the fact that the child had no business being there, had no business doing what he was doing and the fact that he was taken to that environment by his Father and possibly encouraged to do those things is not an excuse; the kid was in the wrong place at the wrong time and allegedly doing the wring thing -- and we did not put him there.
You know, we really do agree on a lot of things ! Personally, I have no problems with that - in fact, I have a lot of problems with a mind set that says "Oh, he must be a victim!". Where we disagree is in whether or not our disgust with victim poker outweights the agreements our countries have signed on the rights of child soldiers. I'm not ready to call the Crown to account on that one.

An attitude of excessive forgiveness of children for being little monsters has put the entire European hearth in danger of a takeover by the little dears. They need to learn that actions have consequences -- as do Parents who not only tolerate but actively encourage such foolishness (in this case criminality by the definition of the UN you say...). You youngsters will have fun with that, I'll be dead and gone so I'll miss it.
Ken, I'm sure that you will stick around just so you can say "I told you so!!!!" . Actually, we agree on the need for children to learn that their actions have consequences. Then again, with such sterling role models as Doug Feith around, that may be a touch tricky...