Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
They probably wouldn't have grabbed you for nothing
This is the part of the process that bothers me.
I have never been in a situation like this but assume it is fairly chaotic. Some of the insurgents will be local, some from further afield and if the engagement is in a town or village will include a whole spectrum from completely uninvolved through sympathisers, non combatant supporters, lookouts, fighters and their commanders. I assume they all get rounded up and all claim innocence then what? How many were just in the wrong place at the wrong time and if they are not going to get a hearing then how can they escape the nightmare? This war (if that is what it is) is already as long as WWII as far as I can see very few of those interned have any kind of evidence against them that could stand up in a court of law. Most seem to have just been released despite serving hundreds of man/years between them.
In the UK we had a whole spate of IRA miscarriages of justice releases and apologies for fabricated evidence against individuals who the police 'knew' were guilty but could not provide evidence. With the public baying for blood and their superiors for convictions, they just helped the cases along. This is very understandable given the circumstances at the time, but also very wrong.
As you may have gathered I am not inclined to give the authorities the benefit of the doubt and am much more frightened of tyrannical governments than terrorists.