FM 3-27.75 The Warrior Ethos and Soldier Combat Skills, 28 January 2008

(316 page 28 Mb pdf)

Earlier versions for comparison:

FM 21-75 Combat Skills of the Soldier, 3 August 1984

(249 page 13.4 Mb pdf)

FM 21-75 Combat Training of the Soldier and Patrolling, 10 July 1967

(No soft copy available)

Default Thanks,

not bad. A personal dislike of mine is this 'warrior' BS but I suppose we're stuck with it.

Hopefully they'll issue one to every troopy -- I used to go wild trying to scuff one per man, made 'em read it and made leaders test on it. that, of course, was an somewhat earlier version...

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White
    -- I used to go wild trying to scuff one per man, made 'em read it and made leaders test on it. that, of course, was an somewhat earlier version...
    Ken - this may be the version you're referring to: Provisional Infantry Training Manual - August 1918

Default Geriatric Abuse...

remedy attached...
    Last edited by Ken White; 12-08-2008 at 07:42 PM.

Council Member

I still have my old FM 21-75. I thought it was the most useful FM I had.

FM 27-75 looks good overall but I noticed that the new 27-75 eliminated the combat tracking instruction that was in Appendix E of the old 21-75. That's too bad; although it was very basic instruction I thought it was a good introduction to the subject.

At the very least it served to make the reader track aware/track conscious, which most soldiers in my day were not.
    Last edited by Rifleman; 02-18-2008 at 09:18 PM.
    "Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    not bad. A personal dislike of mine is this 'warrior' BS but I suppose we're stuck with it.

Hopefully they'll issue one to every troopy -- I used to go wild trying to scuff one per man, made 'em read it and made leaders test on it. that, of course, was an somewhat earlier version...
    Ken,

Interested in to why you dislike the "warrior" moniker so much, though I agree we are stuck with it, for better or worse.

Although I'm not currently in the military (nor have been) and you were, I feel like using the term is a good way to foster the proper mentality among personnel. They're not just [fill-in-the-blank-with-MOS], they're the inheritors of a long and proud lineage in the profession of arms. Not that soldiers or Marines view it that way, but it seems at the very least to be a harmless way of reminding personnel of what their profession truly entails. . .

. . .from the perspective of a civilian student, anyway. . .

Matt
    "Give a good leader very little and he will succeed. Give a mediocrity a great deal and he will fail." - General George C. Marshall

I gotta go with Ken on this one. It's one of those words that's being bandied about so much that it's quickly losing any special meaning or worth (hero is another one...but that's a rant for a different time).

Not everyone in the service is a "warrior," nor should they be. I'd rather have a competent maintainer who doesn't starch his uniform than a pumped-up "hooah!" maintainer who spent so much time getting his run time into "warrior" shape that he doesn't know how to do his real job properly.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Default The dictionary says it all...

Quote Originally Posted by MattC86 View Post
    Ken,
    Interested in to why you dislike the "warrior" moniker so much, though I agree we are stuck with it, for better or worse.
    Matt
    Warrior -- a man engaged or experienced in warfare; broadly : a person engaged in some struggle or conflict.

Soldier -- a: one engaged in military service and especially in the army b: an enlisted man or woman c: a skilled warrior.

Simply, a warrior is anyone who fights, a soldier (or Marine) is one who is trained, disciplined and, hopefully, skilled in fighting. Thus he's more than a warrior. Much more, IMO.

Basically, warriors aren't professional, soldiers are.

A good pro can whip a good amateur any day of the week.

Council Member

Warrior -- a man engaged or experienced in warfare; broadly : a person engaged in some struggle or conflict.

Soldier -- a: one engaged in military service and especially in the army b: an enlisted man or woman c: a skilled warrior.

Simply, a warrior is anyone who fights, a soldier (or Marine) is one who is trained, disciplined and, hopefully, skilled in fighting. Thus he's more than a warrior. Much more, IMO.

Good one, Ken. What you said reminds me of the opening scene in Gladiator. The Germanic tribes may have been "warriors" but at the end of the fight the field was in the hands of disciplined, skilled Roman soldiers.
    "Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper

Council Member

Ken:

You are spot-on with the "warrior" as title critique.

There was an oped in the Washington Post (I think) last year by a serving soldier who pointed out that the term "warrior" contributed to the divide in America between the civilian and the military in that it had an elitist almost intentionally separatist connotation.

Like you I am probably old fashioned and simple minded about such things. If i was at a dinner party at my sister's house in El Cerrito California (right next to Berkeley) I would be proud and comfortable to tell people I am a soldier; saying I am a "warrior" however would make me squeamish and uncomfortable.

So why then does our army continue to use such a misguided word? I don’t think the marines call themselves warriors, "just" marines. So why can’t we be just "soldiers?"

We discussed this point in an "Anthropology of Warfare" class that I took. Warriors also fight for personal glory and tend to view themselves as individuals, as opposed to soldiers, who see themselves as a member of a unit. Warfare is a way of life for the warrior, for which he is socialized to value. Within the warrior society, prestige is found in acts of warlike behavior and ones' social standing can depend heavily on how brave someone is perceived to be. Warriors usually supply their own weapons.

So when we think of the warrior in this way, we can see that being a soldier is much different. At no time while serving in the Army did I fight for personal glory. From the minute you get to basic training, you're socialized to have a "buddy" and the idea of doing something as an individual was frowned upon greatly. Warfare really wasn't a "way of life" either. After training was over, I didn't carry my M16A4 around and decorate it. Besides playing with toy guns and watching Red Dawn, I can't really say that I was socialized to be a warrior either. I guess there can be some debate whether social prestige comes with being a soldier but certainly not in Berkley California. My social standing hasn't really improved as a result of being a soldier but, the values I learned in the military have made me a more successful person. Obviously this isn't the same thing as say, being made the town supervisor due to my military service, so I think this is different too. Last despite wanting to bring my own sidearm to Iraq, I never supplied my own weapons.

So being a soldier is much different than being a warrior. About the only thing they have in common is that they both fight in armed combat. But so do Mercenaries, guerrilla's and insurgents, and we could define these differently as well. It would seem that different people go to war for different reasons and in different fighting roles. I don't think I'd even want to go to war with a "warrior." There was one Indian tribe (Forgot which one) in which the warrior would ride his horse and try to get close enough to the enemy to touch his horse. The purpose was not to kill, but to impress the tribe with the warriors bravery. Maybe today's equivalent would be driving a HUMVEE just close enough to slap a VBIED and then drive away? Anyway, I would rather go to war with soldiers any day.

So instead of the "Everyone a Warrior" concept that came about due the Jessica Lynch ordeal, why not "Everyone a Soldier?" The Marines say "Everyone a Marine" first, so why not the Army too? What "Everyone a Warrior" implies to me is that we had soldiers who thought of themselves as non-combatants.
    Last edited by Ratzel; 02-22-2008 at 08:51 AM.
    "Politics are too important to leave to the politicians"

Default Additionally

Quote Originally Posted by Ratzel View Post
    We discussed this point in an "Anthropology of Warfare" class that I took. Warriors also fight for personal glory and tend to view themselves as individuals, as opposed to soldiers, who see themselves as a member of a unit. Warfare is a way of life for the warrior, for which he is socialized to value. Within the warrior society, prestige is found in acts of warlike behavior and ones' social standing can depend heavily on how brave someone is perceived to be. Warriors usually supply their own weapons.
    Hi Ratzel. I'm drawing many of my observations here from Western European warrior cultures that I am familiar with, both from my own heritage and also from Beowulf (the saga, not that pitiful excuse for a 'movie'). My study of such cultures indicates that warriors tend to gravitate around headmen, thanes or warchiefs, warriors of renown who have earned a prestigious place in society from a mix of combat, boasting, drinking prowess, feats of strength and (sometimes) non-violent competition with other warriors as you describe. A loss of a leader's prestige in front of his warband or group may convince his followers that he is no longer worthy of allegiance and lead them to forsake him. Soldiers don't get to pick and choose their leaders (unless you're Xenophon or in the State Militia c. 1812), and they certainly don't get the right to up and quit whenever they've had enough or things seem to be getting too hard (unless you're in the State Militia c. 1812). While a warrior is committed to a chief or conflict for reasons of personal honour or enrichment, you and others have hit the nail right on the head when you say that soldiers should be about commitment, not only to their organization but also the ideals it embodies and the society that it is intended to protect. Soldiers commit to sacrifice because if they don't no one else will, whereas Warriors do battle for glory and booty because if they don't someone else will.

Warchiefs rule their bands or groups by swordright, so unless he is killed by a usurper, anytime a chief dies, new internal conflict will likely result either in duels to the death or a division into new, smaller bands. One of the benefits of a military hierarchy is that there are clear chains of command and succession should a commander being killed or otherwise incapacitated. While a disciplined fighting force of soldiers can survive the loss of a leader, even a charismatic and rallying one, if you can find out who the warchiefs in a particular society are you stand a greater chance of splintering or neutralizing his fighting force if you can kill, convert or otherwise neutralize him than you would with a force of soldiers.

Furthermore, while warriors do provide their own arms, in exchange for allegiance and adding one's glory to a warchief's, they tend to expect a proportionate reward appropriate to the level of fighting that they undertake. This can take the form of wargear, special distinction or honour bestowed by their chief or a larger share of any booty. While there are rewards such as promotion in a military hierarchy they also come with an increase in responsibility that extends upwards to those who command and downwards to those who follow and have no material benefit except a rise in pay that reflects new responsibility. Special distinctions and commendations are also non-material and usually contribute to advancement and respect within the ranks as opposed to leading to first dibs on booty and having your name added into the saga.

Needless to say, I'd take 1 soldier over 5 warriors any day of the week.
    "I encounter civilians like you all the time. You believe the Empire is continually plotting to do harm. Let me tell you, your view of the Empire is far too dramatic. The Empire is a government. It keeps billions of beings fed and clothed. Day after day, year after year, on thousands of worlds people live their lives under Imperial rule without ever seeing a stormtrooper or hearing a TIE fighter scream overhead."
    ―Captain Thrawn

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ratzel View Post
    - Warriors also fight for personal glory and tend to view themselves as individuals, as opposed to soldiers, who see themselves as a member of a unit.

- Warfare is a way of life for the warrior, for which he is socialized to value.

- Within the warrior society, prestige is found in acts of warlike behavior and ones' social standing can depend heavily on how brave someone is perceived to be.

-Warriors usually supply their own weapons.
    So, by the definitions given here were colonial era hunters like Boone warriors or soldiers?

They seem to have had all the characteristics of warriors in most of their hunting activity. Read the list substituting hunter for warrior and hunting for warfare and it all fits.

But hunters like Boone sometimes formed militias for punitive expeditions or banded together to defend forts and settlements against attack. When they did this they were not fighting as individuals or for personal glory.