Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: FM 3-27.75 The Warrior Ethos and Soldier Combat Skills

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    He does do a good job of writing but I can believe the over dramatic; applying warrior to a working cop isn't all that smart, IMO.
    It is my opinion that the "professionalization, militarization and specialization" of police forces is at least correlated to the decline of democracy.

Once we hire someone else to take our turn, "standing the watch" we give up on participatory government. But that's another topic altogether.
    Last edited by 120mm; 03-25-2008 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    i doubt "warriors" would use buzz-words, much less a crappy one like "ethos". It pisses me off at a very basic level to hear some deployment-avoiding, smooth-talking and polished staff officer or nco using words like "warrior." a real warrior would shoot them in the face, just on principle.

The real "warriors" that i know crave conflict on the same level as most crave sex. Perhaps even more so.

Does being a "warrior" mean you get to decapitate that 40 hours a week shamming pac clerk who just screwed up your pay, because they were too lazy to do it right?

If so, i might reconsider adopting a warrior "ethos", army-wide.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Germ View Post
    I'm with the many above in applauding Eden's post. I heard General Shinseki speak several years ago. He commented that he loved being Chief of Staff but would rather be Commandant of the Marine Corps. He further explained that he envied the Commandant, who did not have to contend with several corps, each with its own subculture and rice bowl. He found it exceedingly difficult to steer the institution known as the Army, where his counterpart in the Corps had no such trouble.

The crux of the problem lies in part in 120mm's observation above, but also in the very fact that soldiers look over a corps fence at each other in the first place. That identity piece, the wholeness of the army as a single culture, that is one heck of a difficult thing to wrestle.

Given the many influences towards different points of view in the army's diverse corps and MOSs, how does the Army best maintain and strengthen what it has of a single culture?
    I heard General Shinseki speak several years ago.

I could care less about this boob. This thread is on the improper use of the word "warrior" yet this man tries to instill esprit de corp by issuing "new" head gear to the Army, The Black Beret which also use to stand for something. The Marines would not have such.

The other problem is the Political Correctness that has gripped this country. God help us.

Council Member Noble Industries's Avatar

They have transmitted that worry to the ever larger population of tertiary students. It has always fascinated me that coterie is first to call for some form of citizen service -- explicitly including the military for some -- but themselves would (did?) go to great lengths to avoid such service. Most would go to equally great lengths to insure that if their children had to serve, it would not be in uniform. I think there's some incongruity there...

As someone currently engaged in university study (security, terrorism and counter terrorism studies), albeit online, I do come across a lot of ‘why don’t we have national service, if only they knew how bad it was they’d all join up’ etc. But rarely do I see those people follow through.

Perhaps this is simply just a case of it being easier to cry from the sidelines that the team should be winning, without actually donning pads and running out to assist.
    The French, advised by good intelligence...
    of this most dreadful preparation,
    shake in their fear...and with pale policy seek
    to divert the English purposes
    Hevry V Act 2

Council Member

Default -least we forget Kid Rock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0yVaHKcs9E

-quite a tune by the Kid but I agree that "warrior" causes young men to ignore the reality of all the discipline and sacrifice and hard work leading up to that first fire fight that ends all notions of glory.

/waves to goesh/

Yeah...can't forget the Kid.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War