Thread: Prince Harry In Afghanistan

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Prince Harry In Afghanistan

Well, ten weeks is about as long as they were able to keep it a secret to the general public.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/7269743.stm

Prince Harry has been fighting the Taleban on the front line in Afghanistan, the MoD has confirmed.

Harry, 23, who is third in line to the throne, has spent the last 10 weeks serving in Helmand Province.

The prince joked about his nickname "the bullet magnet", but said: "I finally get the chance to do the soldiering that I want to do."

The deployment was subject to a news blackout deal, which broke down after being leaked by foreign media.

Chief of the General Staff Sir Richard Dannatt, who is head of the British Army, said he was disappointed the news had leaked. In a statement, he said: "I am very disappointed that foreign websites have decided to run this story without consulting us.
    Does Harry have any importance as a symbolic target? While the Monarchy does enjoy some rather high esteem in large sections of the British public, would the death of a potential heir to the throne have any impact on the Afghan mission in terms of calling for its end, or would it actually rally more people around the mission? If Harry became the "Martyr of Helmand," or some such thing, could that be exploited for the mission's benefit?
    Last edited by Billy Ruffian; 02-28-2008 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Needed to insert a link to the BBC story.
    "I encounter civilians like you all the time. You believe the Empire is continually plotting to do harm. Let me tell you, your view of the Empire is far too dramatic. The Empire is a government. It keeps billions of beings fed and clothed. Day after day, year after year, on thousands of worlds people live their lives under Imperial rule without ever seeing a stormtrooper or hearing a TIE fighter scream overhead."
    ―Captain Thrawn