Quote Originally Posted by BillClewis2 View Post
Although it represents Turkey's future hopes for continued sane interaction with the West, Kemalism, and its stridency, is dying as a character ethic in Turkey. One only has to be informed of the increased ascendancy of Islamism in the Parliament and governmental institutions to know the direction of the country. After decades of trying to satisfy both camps, East and West, it is slowly being pulled back to its pre-revolutionary mindset. I have many Turkish friends who agree the writing is on the wall.
I'd have to do a little more research on the power structure in Turkey, but this seems like (1) a bid by the government to head-off Islamic revival in the country in anticipation of further social adjustment, or (2) an attempt by Erdoğan's faction (the Department is subordinated to the Prime Minister's office) to make the politicalization of Islam more appealing to the population-at-large in light of the political and legal events prior to the announcement. Either way, it's a state-driven event and we have to be careful in our assessment about which interests it represents.

We can't forget also that the Christian reformation took place in a complex political environment complemented by a stagnate, but loosening, economic and social order. Much of Protestantism's success was a result of political exploitation; German princes and other rulers anxious to break the influence of the Church harnessed the independence that Protestant theology enabled -- and with a bit of luck, managed to win decisive battles against Catholic-inspired armies. The situation in Turkey is vastly different, and I don't think we should be optimistic about its potential.

As a result of Turkey's state secularism, cultural history, and ethnic separation from the Middle East, is the credibility of the revision already undermined in other Islamic countries (particularly the Arab World)? Because of the centralized nature of Islamic states (specifically in the Middle East and North Africa), what is the likelihood that the spirit of reformation will ever reach the Arab street?