I’m originally from East Texas. My wife is from this area. We decided to settle here a few years ago. I prefer the climate of this region to Texas. The local history is also pretty interesting.

The Over Mountain Men gathered at Fort Watauga (which is maybe 5 miles as the crow flies) from my office in Johnson City. There is a group of reenactors who meet every year to commemorate this, but they don’t make a roadmarch all the way to Kings Mountain…imagine that.

I’m aware of that business with Burr being tried for treason. The Vidal novel, told from Burr’s point of view, obviously puts a different interpretation on the whole affair, and stresses the political rivalry between Burr and Jefferson.

Tacitus wasn’t too impressed with Empire and the tyranny that accompanies it, preferring the liberty under the Republic. Every historian brings a point of view to his subject matter. I am sympathetic to his view, and likewise, not particularly impressed with modern day imperial schemes and adventures. Hence, the namesake; y'all have found me out!