Thread: Training Fieldcraft

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Rhodesian View Post
    My own experience with genuine field craft would suggest that this is instinctive, and "town boys" very rarely have it, despite the best training available.

I'm not sure I'd agree totally, but you have the bones of a good point, and I'd certainly defer to your experience. I know a good few "Wiltshire" farm boys who stood-to a whole platoon harbour because they couldn't recognise the sound of badger foraging at night.

I'd also say that, from a UK perspective, city boys (and I am not one) tend to make good modern soldiers. If you want technical proficiency, then a British Army member of the Kings Regiment, knew about 62 good ways to steal any car, and the 1st Battalion Royal Green Jackets were pretty good a bank robberies.

...that aside, I am somewhat sceptical as of the lording and deification of "Hiawatha" skills, because the gap between useful and good is vast. I think the majority of what is useful, can be taught and learnt by experience. Providing that training and experience is obviously key.

Urban environments often need to be "read" just as proficiently as rural. EG> "Is that Abdul Badguy's wife just taking out the garbage of is she checking the coast is clear." "Is that guy on the roof just taking some air or is he a look out." etc etc etc. Sorry to bang on with the obvious but I hope this helps.
    Last edited by William F. Owen; 03-10-2008 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Wild excitement
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition