Thread: Are Intelligence Agencies' Hiring Procedures Too Strict?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    "Fairness" is not a consideration for hiring for Intelligence Agencies.
    Amen!

Perhaps this should be more of the idea in the hiring/appointment in certain upper level positions. LOL!

Adam L

Council Member

WP, 29 Oct 08: Change Expands Eligibility for Intelligence Hires
    Director of National Intelligence Mike McConnell has taken steps to make it easier for U.S. intelligence agencies to recruit first-generation Americans with foreign relatives.

In an Oct. 1 directive, McConnell removed a requirement restricting access to "sensitive compartmented information," the highest level of classified information, to employees whose family members or close associates were U.S. citizens. In the past, there had to be a formal waiver of the citizenship requirement and a "compelling need" to hire people who did not meet the condition.....

Default From across the water: how SIS recruits?

The UK overseas intelligence agency, SIS (formerly known as MI6), is marking it's first century and there is this gem or "spin" on how it recruits: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-join-MI6.html

davidbfpo

interesting bit of agitprop. I had known for some time that one had to have two kills to become a "00" but I didn't know much about the the rest of the recruiting process.

SFC W

Council Member

Default It seems inevitable

That the DOD will follow the lead of State, CIA, and NSA with regard to their ability to overlook certain things. Also with the pressure on the OPM to conduct faster initial and other clearance investigations it is more likely that more individuals will gain clearance. Or the oppposite could happen with less people even being considered for clearance, as cited earlier in the thread.
    Just from cursory reading it seems that the pressure on OPM to meet timelines is intense. Something that I do not necessarily agree with. The article is here, and there is a link to the opm site.

http://www.federaldaily.com/federald...3/FD030308.htm

Question I've got a related question

In the last 7 months I have interviewed for three positions with DIA, two at SOCOM, and one at SOUTHCOM. I interview well, and presented well-polished writing samples. All three positions were at Payband 2, for which I am qualified. But while the interviews were positive (one with SOCOM was stellar), I was not offered a job. These were all at Tampa Hiring Events, by the way, should that make a difference.

My question is this: Is age an advantage to some while a disadvantage to others, when in either case they've got freshly minted Bachelor degrees?

Specifically, I am 45 years old, and recently finished my undergrad degree. My impression is that my age, versatility and broad-spectrum background all are advantages. But I wonder whether that's an accurate impression. Do you perceive that there is an "age threshold" in the hiring practices of the DoD intelligence analysis elements?

What say you all?

Victoria
    "At least we're getting the kind of experience we need for the next war." -- Allen Dulles

A work of art worth drooling over: http://www.maxton.com/intimidator1/i...r1_page4.shtml

Council Member

Truth in lending -- I worked for DIA for almost a decade on the operations side of the house. OE don't do analysis.

I have no personal knowledge of your exact situation WRT SOCOM/SOUTHCOM.

I would, however, offer the following observation. Tom can add his $.02. You are job hunting in a heavily military population (Tampa). At your age, your primary competition probably takes the form of recently retired officers/NCOs about age 42. Some may have even worked the exact issues that DIA is hiring against. That's a tough crowd.

Coupla recs --
    1) keep trying.
    2) try to break into a civilian organization, maybe "one-off" your primary interest/expertise. (TSA, ICE, big DHS)
    3) look into the civilian contract intel field. These cos tend to be incestuous with their parent agencies (former FBI, CIA, etc.)

Good luck. This is currently a growth industry. There will be opportunities.