Thread: Request input for COIN related movie bits

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Do you want to focus on military operations in foreign insurgencies, or COIN?

Movies like Ghandi or Malcolm X off the top of my head might help your crew to step back and expand their perspectives a bit. This is all about populaces under a governance they find intolerable, illegitimate, or both; who also have no legal means of redress to ragain or gain control of, or even shape their governance; so they resort to violence.

The military aspect is usually one of pipehitter for that government. Much like the goons who would be set upon workers attempting to unionize a century ago in the states.
    Robert C. Jones
    Intellectus Supra Scientia
    (Understanding is more important than Knowledge)

"The modern COIN mindset is when one arrogantly goes to some foreign land and attempts to make those who live there a lesser version of one's self. The FID mindset is when one humbly goes to some foreign land and seeks first to understand, and then to help in some small way for those who live there to be the best version of their own self." Colonel Robert C. Jones, US Army Special Forces (Retired)

I suggest taking a look at "Broken Arrow" the one from 1950 with Jimmy Stewart. If you ignore the Hollywood insurance policy romance and one or two slightly too noble savages, it was pretty good. It had a lot to say about knowing the enemy, knowing why he was the enemy and showing him due respect. I think there is a lot from the conflicts with the Apaches that could be applicable to things today.
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene