Thread: MCOs and SSOs in the 2008 edition of FM 3-0 Operations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Slap, thanks for the correction

but, the lead guy in the famous photo was DEA Agent, Rene de la Cova. Rene was a great undercover guy - the photo blew the cover and he had to move into administration. When he was DEA Agent in Charge in Colombia he got greedy - or bored - and picked up some drug money that the Feds beleived should have been turned over to the USG. As a result he spent some time on the wrong side of the bars.

With that digression, my point remains that US federal law enforcement agenices have very limited authority and no real competence in regular policing. For Small Wars purposes, police departments - with some exceptions among constabulary forces (although not as great for Chile's Carabineros as one might suppose) - have no real reserve capacity. Police forces are engaged full time in policing and generally create a surge capability by going from 3 to 2 shifts per day. (Slap, I'm sure you'll put me right if I'm off base again!!!)

Cheers

JohnT

Hi John, yes it was a DEA agent in some of the photos, but just after him is the Marshall....for the security reason you mentioned the US Marshall will do many of the DEA arrest.

Part two no correction needed you are quite right that Federal LE is restricted by it's very nature. (Incidentally I have read a lot of your writings about South of the Border and I doubt I will ever be in a position to correct you....some fantastic there). Again you are correct that the Feds no very little about real everyday type policing. The point about the Marshall's and it's importance to SSO is they target the trouble maker and him or her only...that is a very useful philosophy for SSO. Beyond that I think the MP's are the most useful in SSO...just take a look at their website and the curriculum of a basic MP. Infantry skills plus Police skills all in one package. They even have a separate manual on their on specially created armored LE vehicle. They should establish the basic in Country Police force and then just give guidance until it is time to leave..IMHO.

Council Member

Default Hey Norfolk & Slap

Norfolk, I really think that you ought to develop the Aid to the Civil Power theme in a comparative perspective. For countries that are so close in origin and that share so many aspects of a culture, we are also very different.

Slap, thanks for reading my stuff. I wish that more people would buy the books so I can make more money in my retirement. I agree with you - as you know - about MPs.

Cheers

JohnT

Hi John, the combined military/police journal(can not remeber name) that you used to publish in would be a great start.

I suspect that one of the original ideas behind the National Guard was to provide some sort of civil powers assistance force, but there has always been a great deal of resistance in this country to using military forces for such functions. Just look at (for one example) the debate surrounding Sheridan's use of the military in the aftermath of the Chicago Fire.

Still...this might be an interesting NG function, or something that might better lie in their sphere of influence as opposed to the Regulars.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    Hi John, the combined military/police journal(can not remeber name) that you used to publish in would be a great start.
    The Journal of Low Intensity Conflict and Law Enforcement?

I've been trying for months to get access to that journal (electronic).
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Council Member

Default Slap and Sam

It was, indeed, LIC&LE. The last couple of volumes - 12 and 13 - 6 issues in all were/are online, I think. LIC&LE has been incorporated into Small Wars & Insurgencies since Vol 13. Taylor & Francis made a business decision to consolidate similar journals and we were caught up in that. My only gripe is that they were not honest about what they were doing or why. If you are an author and have any business with T&F or its book logo, Routledge, be really careful and get everything in writing. I have a chapter in a book on terrorism that I have never seen even though the normal way of doing business is for chapter authors to get a copy of the book.

As an aside, I never knew how Frank Cass, the previous publisher, coul make money on his multiple and overlapping journals and reasonably priced books. Max and I published one that began life as a special issue of SW&I and sold for $27 USD. Robert Bunker's edited volume Networks, Terrorism & Global Insurgency began life as Vol 11 Nos 2/3 of LIC&LE and Routledge sells it for over $100USD!!!!!!!!

Cheers

JohnT