Thread: Cordesman so right, yet so wrong

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

This Singapore's ATGM vehicle reminds me Beaufre's TMO structure's mobile commando platoon.

You can download structure here.
    http://rapidshare.com/files/101250367/TMO.pdf.html

Here is Singapore's Super Rapid Advanced Mortar System. Take look at page 20.
    http://www.armada.ch/05-6/complete_05-6.pdf

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by kaur View Post
    This Singapore's ATGM vehicle reminds me Beaufre's TMO structure's mobile commando platoon.

This is intriguing. Is there more?
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaur View Post

Sweet, sweet link, Kaur.

Council Member

Due to the fact, that my uploading speed is very low, i just can't upload Andre Beaufre's whole book "Strategy for Tomorrow". ... but you can borrow it form library or buy it

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Book...%3D69%26y%3D10

kaur, finally had a chance to sit down and read the PDF link on organization. Some really good stuff in there....liked the picture of dune buggy 120mm Mortar.

As we used to say in the old 9th Infantry Division (Motorized), Rat Patrol was a neat TV show but a terrible idea for an MTOE. When you plan mobility by lift aircraft requirements rather than mission requirements you wind up with silly things that don't have doors - or survivability. I can only assume that Singapore has no potential threats that possess indirect fire... or pointy sticks for that matter.

I did not review the mobile commando platoon doc, but I do remember that certain units were really good at rolling their little Ranger/SF jeep things at Yakima. Of course we were leaving dune buggies strewn about the landscape ourselves (hence the locally-fabricated break-away M2/MK19 mount!).

Little things like this are relatively useless, except in extreme environments where light forces need small vehicles to carry supporting equipment in places a full size vehicle cannot fit. Even then they are dangerous. The HUMMV works as a mobility platform because it has enough lateral stability to go around a corner without tipping over and can traverse relatively difficult terrain. Of course this does not make it a good weapons platform or survivable... just better than a M151 for running errands.
    Last edited by Charlie11; 03-27-2008 at 12:50 AM.

Default Disagree. Light vehicles have a place and combat

uses -- and, in some cases, the lighter the better. A 151 (if one trains one's drivers...) is better than a HMMWV for many things. The American way of a bigger hammer is adopted because its easy to train for and we're lazy -- that doesn't mean that Americans can't be trained to use a little finesse; they can and they do it well if you train 'em right.

The key as is true in many things, is METT-TC. That simple.

Default agreed

Which is why I mentioned mission requirements as a primary consideration and gave an example of a situation that would call for such a vehicle. You are also correct that training is a critical factor.

Just be careful you don't wind up with this:
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...rps-jeep_x.htm

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie11 View Post
    As we used to say in the old 9th Infantry Division (Motorized), Rat Patrol was a neat TV show but a terrible idea for an MTOE. When you plan mobility by lift aircraft requirements rather than mission requirements you wind up with silly things that don't have doors - or survivability. I can only assume that Singapore has no potential threats that possess indirect fire... or pointy sticks for that matter.
    I don't know about "Rat patrols" but tactical ignorance of the correct way to employ equipment is always going to create problems.

Such vehicles are used in conjunction with dismounted and even armoured forces. They are a mobility system to enable the ability to disperse and concentration light anti-armour forces, while leveraging the advantages of air mobility and a vastly reduced cost, and logistic foot-print when compared with armoured forces.

Singapore can drop a 30 vehicle anti-armour screen 50km deep into Malaysia, pretty easily, or hold the same number of vehicles on the deck of small commercial freighter or move easily by wide body cargo jet.

I absolutely agree that such vehicles have less protection than a family car, but that is missing the point. You always trade security for activity, and such a system is not appropriate across entire the spectrum of environments and operations.

I have never seen any well-written tactical doctrine for employing such vehicles. In fact during my time in Singapore I did have some discussion as to writing some.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Council Member

If you can use Strix in 120 mm mortar buggy ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY9S-PcKLYs