Hi Rob--

The ideas that make up your ORE have been around for quite a while. In the ancient times known as the 80s many proposed a regional ambassador who would have the same authority for the State Dept as a CINC had for DOD. You know how far that one went!

I took a stab at addressing the problem in the last chapter of my recent book with Max, Uncomfortable Wars Revisited, in which I laid out a matrix of assets that a commander or ambassador could employ in exercising the means of the DIME.

I should note that the solutution to the problem you raise was achieved in El Salvador where the Ambassador was clearly in charge and the CINC supported him. It's a point Ed Corr, who was ambassador there when I was in country, often makes. Moreover, I can confirm his viewpoint from direct observation. Ed was in command of ALL USG agencies and assets!

Which brings me to (again) my favorite quote from John Nagl:
"Malaya"
"Dear Lyttleton,
"We must have a man.
"Secondly, we must have a plan.
"When we have a man and a plan, we shall succeed: not otherwise.
"Yours sincerely
"Montgomery (FM)"

The Brits found their man first, in Harold Briggs and then in Sir Gerald Templar and their plan in the Briggs Plan. They also gave Templar full governmental and military authority, ie unity of command. They succeeded. It wasn't easy; took 12 years, but they succeeded. As I said elsewhere, organization can only make things easier or harder, it can't solve a substantive problem.

Cheers

JohnT