Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
I hear what Killebrew is saying and he makes one particularly valid point; primacy of the Ambassador in-country. That's the only minor flaw in the T-MAAG concept and it can be addressed; we sure cannot afford, personnel wise, to go back to the full-bore MAAGs of the 60s.

He's off base with the MilGroup fill idea. The T-MAAG was a way to address that and negate or at least overcome to an extent Tom's point -- what Killeberew says isn't going to happen...

Easier to have the requisite skills in a holding pattern to dispatch to the Country Team OnO than it will be to dig 'em out of the system. Ad hoc is ad hoc...

I do believe I see Phase Alpha of the senior leadership fast shuffle...
Thanks Ken! Most folks don't understand the role of the Ambassador or the country team and it is important that we emphasize and teach it.

You are correct in saying that I see a refill of the various TDA slots with O4s and senior NCOs as unlikely. But I also see it as an inherent waste of talent that is desparately needed in the tactical world -- including advisors. Ibelieve that the US Army has made a tradition of wasting the rank of MAJ rather than targeting that rank for future duties. I served as a CPT in TDA slots teaching and writing as a FAO--it helped me to do that as it related to my work as a FAO. But I also saw any number of MAJs occupying slots simply because someone said the job required an O4 when it really did not require a Soldier. Today we are critically short MAJs and PPT slide master slots for O4s are not critical needs --if they ever were. What has long bothered me is a good maneuver company commander--if he commands "early" --will wait 14 years or so before he commands a maneuver battalion. I still see great potential value for MAJs commanding companies but at this stage and time, that too is a frog with wings idea. But MAJs can command MiTTs and they can advise host nation maneuver commanders and commanders of US partner units.

Best

Tom