Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What does the Military do in COIN?

Default Hmmmm....

Wilf, I would suggest you have successfully crossed the starting line of the marathon you are about to embark upon. The provision of a modicum of security to the general public is the start point and provides the opportunity for the counterinsurgent (be they host nation - most preferred or support force/coalition) the opportunity to seperate the insurgent from the public both physically and intellectually. Then along parallel/simultaneous lines of operations, the counterinsurgent supports the performance of the services the public/culture (as opposed to what we may think) expects of its government, and we either kill the irreconcileables or turn the ones who picked up arms as a legitimate beef. An over-simplification I know, but until you create the space between the insurgent and the population its near impossible to identify, find, and kill the irreconcilable much less turn the insurgent who is willing to submit to government authority.

Live well and row
    Hacksaw
    Say hello to my 2 x 4

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    Wilf, I would suggest you have successfully crossed the starting line of the marathon you are about to embark upon. The provision of a modicum of security to the general public is the start point and provides the opportunity for the counterinsurgent (be they host nation - most preferred or support force/coalition) the opportunity to seperate the insurgent from the public both physically and intellectually. Then along parallel/simultaneous lines of operations, the counterinsurgent supports the performance of the services the public/culture (as opposed to what we may think) expects of its government, and we either kill the irreconcileables or turn the ones who picked up arms as a legitimate beef. An over-simplification I know, but until you create the space between the insurgent and the population its near impossible to identify, find, and kill the irreconcilable much less turn the insurgent who is willing to submit to government authority.
    Hack mate. Thanks. Being schooled in the British Army, I grew up on Kitson, so when it comes to the physical and intellectual (moral?) isolation of the insurgent, I hear what you say and I think I agree.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Default Great minds...

Got "Low Intensity operations - Suversion, Insurgency & Peacekeeping" on my desk. Somehow even us "In the box, 3-24 dogmatics" have found a way to discover that all knowledge does not flow from Galula and Petraeus or is it the other way around

Live well and row
    Hacksaw
    Say hello to my 2 x 4

Default Aw Shucks

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    Got "Low Intensity operations - Suversion, Insurgency & Peacekeeping" on my desk. Somehow even us "In the box, 3-24 dogmatics" have found a way to discover that all knowledge does not flow from Galula and Petraeus or is it the other way around

Live well and row
    Without youins in-the-boxers us outta-the-boxers might get lost in our brilliance.
    Any man can destroy that which is around him, The rare man is he who can find beauty even in the darkest hours

Cogitationis poenam nemo patitur