Thread: Bill Lind's Nightmare Scenario

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Unless someone here has beaten me to the punch, I'm calling my publisher right away to get the rights to this great fictional story.

Besides what others have said, does Lind really think we'd sit idly by while Iran preps and masses divisions at the border? Aparrently we are incapable of doing all the things to Iran that Lind believes Iran is capable of doing to us.

Arrow The funniest thing about this whole deal

that in reality they would probably have their hands more than full trying to deal with an constantly beefed up IA, IP who would probably much prefer larger conflict to the COIN ops their currently having to perform. And thats assuming some of the militia wouldn't join in AGAINST IRAN. There are so many ways this could go so much differently than what he states I'm not really sure why he bothered.
    Any man can destroy that which is around him, The rare man is he who can find beauty even in the darkest hours

Cogitationis poenam nemo patitur

If anything was going to happen Iran would infiltrate KBR and electrocute our soldiers while they were showering or poison their drinking water. Nyah. Never happen though that were be more likened to something like fourth generation warfare.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Arrow They might cheat

Quote Originally Posted by selil View Post
    If anything was going to happen Iran would infiltrate KBR and electrocute our soldiers while they were showering or poison their drinking water. Nyah. Never happen though that were be more likened to something like fourth generation warfare.
    But they'd still git beat
    End of story
    Any man can destroy that which is around him, The rare man is he who can find beauty even in the darkest hours

Cogitationis poenam nemo patitur

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Iran sends two to four regular army armor and mech divisions across the border. Their objective is to pocket American forces in and around Baghdad

How? This just ignores all of the teaching of any school of operational analysis I am aware of.

I submit, as the Manoeuvre Warfare Handbook and 4GW concept were all based on poor history, this is hypothesis is based on a poor understanding of modern operations.

However, never underestimate the propensity for so-called "military theorists" to keep pressing the alarm bell in order to stay in view.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
    Iran sends two to four regular army armor and mech divisions across the border. Their objective is to pocket American forces in and around Baghdad

How? This just ignores all of the teaching of any school of operational analysis I am aware of.

I submit, as the Manoeuvre Warfare Handbook and 4GW concept were all based on poor history, this is hypothesis is based on a poor understanding of modern operations.

However, never underestimate the propensity for so-called "military theorists" to keep pressing the alarm bell in order to stay in view.
    Thank you for pulling back the curtain to reveal that the wizard is just some clumsy, pitifull guy .

I still think that, in the early days, Lind was a necessary component who shook some things up. I'm also not as inclined as some to discard maneuver warfare theories out of hand. They have their place, but like most ideas they were carried into areas that they were not suite for, and Lind bears some responsibility for that. He's clearly outlived his usefulness.

All Lind is doing is rehashing the Stalingrad scenario. Period.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War