Thread: Effects Based Operations (EBO) - is it valid?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Effects Based Operations (EBO) - is it valid?

Since coming to my most recent job I've been a witness to some heated statements about Effects Based Operations from lots of intelligent people. It seems there are three camps - those who think it is the best thing since sliced bread, those who think it's a concept that briefs well but is intellectually bankrupt in application, and those (like myself) who get lost because we don't understand the arguments.

I will state up front I have done no detailed reading or research on EBO and understand only the outlines of it. I understand it competes with and/or is compatible with Center of Gravity analysis, which I am very familiar with.

What intrigues me is that a number of the smartest COIN thinkers I know are completely opposed to EBO as a model, usually spouting extremely dismissive comments. I also noticed that EBO proponents tend to argue that if we all just moved to EBO, the war would be over.

So I'm asking the community the following:

• Is there a good overview/primer (short) on EBO?
    • Where has EBO been effectively used? Are there case studies? Why do the advocates think it is superior?
    • What are the intellectual/application flaws of EBO? I see a lot of complaints, but no one has explained to me why it is the devil's creation.
    • Should or should it not be used by forces as a planning model?

Genuinely interested in the feedback.
    Last edited by Cavguy; 03-26-2008 at 03:21 PM.
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?