Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Staff War Stories

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    I kid you not, the guy went away angry, that I couldn't make his paper copy change, via the computer. The good news: I get to work with this guy again.
    No doubt how the PTB deploy that nitwit.
    http://www.theonion.com/content/file...69.article.jpg

Council Member

Default Peace is Hell

Quote Originally Posted by AdamG View Post
    I'm surprised he didn't demand you all wear full-body condoms and then swath yourselves in bubblewrap.
    Safety First - even if you suffocate!
    Hmmm. Sounds like what I endured in Bosnia. I recall doing a joint patrol with a Turkish platoon. They were wearing t-shirts and carrying no weapons (they put their weapons in one unarmored vehicle and locked it.) My platoon, in accordance with our highly complex force protection posture matrix was at (if I recall correctly) threat condition D-K-4. Maybe I am rearranging that number/letter combo, but we had some gigantic matrix of absurd guidelines symbolized with letters and numbers. A simple A through D threat condition or some confidence in the judgment of small unit leaders simply would not cut it.

While we walked alongside Turks in t-shirts, who were at ease with the locals and did not have a care in the world, we were hobbling along in body armor, helmets, full combat loads of ammunition (though we were forbidden from chambering a round), and protective masks. There were also requirements that we were to walk around with our weapons at the ready (but no round chambered, so we still looked friendly and approachable) and the Ground Forces Commander (O-6 billet) dictated our fire-team formations. They were to walk in a fire team wedge at all times (apparently, this formation is always appropriate).

It was a great place to operate. My job was made easy because every decision was made in advance by someone three or four echelons higher. The only thing left for me to worry about was how to alter the situation to fit their guidance. And if I was unable to alter the situation to fit their guidance, then my only task was to invent some fanciful rationalization to convey to my Soldiers, to assure them that their chain of command was not a bunch of boobs.

I just had a bunch of beer, and I am laughing my butt off over some staff Col dictating fire team formations.

Small wonder we are losing two wars. Not even the German Army was this crazy at having the general staff run every facet of WWII.

Default I think you mean Battle Force...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    fortunate (or unfortunate; choose one) No ....... Slack denizen. Good for you. "Above the Rest" and "Honor and Country" below the crest and all that. Clash of '66 here.

If that was Rick he was a COL in 01 according to Google.
    We all know who the best BN is in "Bastogne" BDE, Sir.

Thumbs down Army Safety at it again...

Quote Originally Posted by Schmedlap View Post
    Safety rules may be the greatest source of ridiculous stories.

In 2004, I was at NTC and an O-6 informed me that I was a sorry excuse for a leader because I did not care about the safety or welfare of my Soldiers. .
    This COL, another criminal perpetuator of the Army "Safety First, Mission and Common Sense last" culture, which I would argue, in many cases, has caused hundreds of deaths in Iraq because so many leaders are so obsessed with safety and "zero defects" that they will sacrifice the mission IOT "be safe". I'm obviously not a fan of the Army Safety culture...that is another Thread in itself!