Quote Originally Posted by JJackson View Post
I have been following this thread and have found it a little confusing which may be due to my inability to speak, or read, Arabic. How different is Al Jazeera’s English output from their Arabic output? I have a TV package that gives me Fox news, BBC news and Al Jazeera but not VoA. I tend to get my news online, so do not watch any regularly, but have found the BBC and Al Jazeera similar and reasonably balanced (I tend to watch more Al Jazeera as they have more – and more in-depth - Africa & ME coverage). I occasionally watch Fox to see how a story is being packaged for a US audience but – having been brought up on BBC journalism – find it hard to stomach. I am used to seeing the moderator, in a discussion with politicians from opposing parties, trying to crack the weaknesses in both spokesman’s arguments not feeding soft questions to one and helping the other attack his opponent. Having no experience with VoA I have been reading, and watching, some of their output from their site over the last few days and find it much closer to BBC/Al Jazeera than Fox. In one discussion, on recent events in Basra, I thought they had a well balanced discussion including showing President Bush’s comments, which were criticised by all for showing a lack of understanding of what was going on.
If the complaint about VoA is that it is not overtly biased enough then those making that case must realise that a BBC like position will already viewed as ‘Western biased’ and trying to broadcast raw propaganda will just leave the VoA preaching to the converted. Might it not be more productive to look at the other sides arguments – which are being used to radicalise Muslims – and if they are false counter them. Better still adjust US foreign policy to make it harder for your opposition by giving them fewer easy targets and shooting yourself in the foot less often.

MountainRunner:
I read the Terrorist vs Freedom Fighter stuff and thought the explanation by the editors was unsurprising and the norm. I am not sure what other position they could possibly take unless their mandate changed to just re-broadcast White House press releases without any pretence at being a general news source. You are never going to win an Arabic audience by just saying Hamas & Hezbollah are beyond the pail because the US has put them on a terrorist list but the IDF (or even Abbas) are the good guys because we give them guns and money.
P.S. I loved the video very funny – and probably a fair reflection of how the rest of the world see the US’s attempts at democratising them – but I see that the VoA may not be happy if some of their staff were involved in its making.

1. Thank you note from a Marine lst Lt. Platoon Leader in Afghanistan about Voice of America, etc. His Dad and I grew up together in TN and he was a classmate with one of my three daughters at Vanderbilt. This Marine and his platoon had just finished a tour in Iraq were on ship enroute to USA and ship was turned around and they were taken back to be airlifted into Afghanistan, a new tour, with no home leave. Good spirits and dedicated young Marines! George Singleton

Colonel SIngleton,

Thank you so much for your letter and kind words and for including me on your emails. I read your article in 'Military Officer' and am extremely thankful for your work overseas through writing and media. I agree with you that we must convince all peoples around the world what we are here to do - not to conquer, but to rid the world of dangerous terrorists who use intimidation and exploitation as their means of spreading their cause. I am hoping and praying that they will catch on.

I hope all is well with you and your family in Alabama. Where in Alabama do you live? My little sister lives in Birmingham (attending UAB graduate school) and I have numerous friends living throughout the state. All is well out here in Afghanistan. We just got our first rain today. Again, thank you and God bless.

Semper Fidelis,

2. This is response from PhD director of a major Pakistani university think tank in Lahore, Paksitan to Voice of America article I copied to him:

Thank you!

---=

Khalil Ahmad

3. From a friend who works out of Dubai, a video clip of interest:

I think this is the English version

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7d9_1206624103

4. From a friend now serving inside Afghanistan who is here from Bham...Spencer Bachus is our local US Congressman (Republican). He is referring to the VOA clip by CBS42 TV newman here in Bham of Monday which interviewed both me and Congressman Bachus about the article I am in pushing for VOA expanded funding, more, varied linguists, etc. Our Congressional delegation here in Alabama is lining up behind it 100%, to remind, in part because it is in the 9/11 Commission Report Recommendations, and they bipartisanly then and today say it is long ago overdue and needed.
George,
I had no problems opening it. Excellent tv news piece. Good luck to you and Spencer in trying to fund this critical weapon in the “War on Terror”.

Jack

5. In response to reading the MOAA OFFICER MAG April 2008 article which I focused on Voice of America here is my friend, the retired Chief of Staff and Chief of all Navy SEALS response in part (named edited, but not rank):

Way to go George!!!, But the article doesn't do your letter writing campaign justice.... Great PHOTO though, just as I pictured you !! Thanx for your continued service...
Keep Charging ! XXXXX , Rear Admiral, US NAVY (Ret)

6. From another friend now serving in Afghanistan on Voice of America MOAA OFFICER MAGAZINE article focus on VOA, I have omitted his name to protect him, too.

George,

Good article. I have read with interest your letters to the Peshawar FRONTIER POST and agree that we need to do a much better job in the propaganda war that we really are losing over here. The Afghans that I work with appear to truly appreciate the work that we have jointly accomplished over here. However, the senior leadership of both the Afghan Army and the Afghan Police are for the most part corrupt and incompetent. Hopefully, the next generation will break the cycle of ignorance and intolerance that pervades this country, but I have my doubts.

I am tired, and need to hit the sack, was on the road all day. But, let me summarize by saying I hear all the time from both those who know me and those who have only read what I write or what others have written about me.

One regular correspondent to me since 9/11, saw my letters in Peshawar FRONTIER POST and Karachi DAWN as I started my singular propaganda campaign, is the European Treasurer for the JKLF/UK. That is the Jammu Kashmir Liberation Front, which is peaceful, rather uniquely. He is ethnically I think a Pakhtun himself, but born in UK. His Dad was born in Kashmir.

The range and variety of people I hear from are from Muslim academia, business, military, you name it, out of Pakistan, Afghanistan, India, Russia (yes, Russia), Iran, UAE, and from Europe as well as overseas Muslims here in the US and Canada. I am very weary from the free work I do workload that has built up since 9/11 and want VOA to hire the right linguists, and do their job of the best anti-terrorist propaganda program in the world.

For those who say what would or will VOA talk about, go read on the Internet what VOA talked to the Communists about from 1945 until the Soviet Union and old East European Communist nations collapse. Themes are going to be similar, but VOA will have to delve into religious ideology to be effective.

My life has been threatened numerous times from the NWFP "zone" where I am the only non-Muslim writer on Hujra Online, which part of the Khyber Watch.com website. Only mention this cause the truth, I use facts and data that can be verified on/from the Internet, angers the enemy who are into all our sites, likely including this one, Small Wars Journal. But I hope SWJ is enemy free, but you never know today.