Quote Originally Posted by Surferbeetle View Post
...Ken, I have been reflecting upon your thesis expressed in this and other threads which I paraphrase here as 'an example had to be made'. I would agree that displaying weakness in the ME leads to greater issues, and because we have shown weakness in the past the seeds of this can be found in 9/11. I feel that energy policy played a significant role in the calculus, but like you I recognize at this point that the reasons are moot, we must win this one and everybody is expendable. What bothers me is the politicization of many positions within government when instead we need the apolitical experts who are mature enough to look beyond short-term gain. A coherent energy policy which allows us to prevent the funding of our enemies is long overdue. We also really need to tighten up our shot-group when it comes to using all elements of national power in order to obtain our objectives.
I've also long said (a) I wouldn't have done it that way (not that I was or will be in a position to do so ); and (b) The Admin fouled up in many, many ways once they did decide to do it that way. That early -- and dumb -- politicization by them is IMO directly responsible for much, not all, of the political babble today in opposition. Plenty of egg for a lot of faces in this one.

My sensing is that energy was a part of the rationale but that it was not a major driver -- other than to try to do it with minimal effect on the world oil supply; we really want China to have oil...

We've got all the classics; major Intel failure; leading to major policy decision flaw; leading to interference with the Combatant Commanders plan; leading to a thrown-out TPFDL; leading to a major political error in an attempt to help Blair -- and then on downhill from there. Immaterial at this time; like you said, we're there.