Thread: Transition Teams in the Field

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Transition Teams in the Field

There has been a lot of discussion lately about the Army's TMAAG, the Marine Corps MSOAG and MCTAG, and other issues regarding fielding and training of transition teams, but not too much on their actual implementation in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Before I'm accused of being hard on the Army, the Marine Corps is now planning on pulling MTTs at the battalion level, and having only large, brigade-level MTTs. Considering the state of Iraqi NCOs and company grade officer leadership, battalion level MTTs may not be enough as it is. Let alone having only brigade level MTTs. Additionally, that takes away the battalion's ability to get CASEVAC and fire support assets, a capability that is nonexistent in the IA at this point.

I'm not trying to sound negative, and I know I'm just an Lt. throwing up the BS flag on something above my paygrade, but it seems to me there are some serious problems across the board with how transition teams are being utilized. I think having standing advisor organizations like those mentioned above will eliminate these problems in the future, but too far in the future. Hopefully someone is paying attention to the current transition team issues as well.
    Last edited by SWJED; 04-14-2008 at 08:54 AM.