Cavguy, I agree 100%. As much as some people would like to pin the rose on one single event/policy decision, in reality, there is no way you can. As much as I would hate to start a discussion on complexity theory, I cannot help but think of some of its key points whenever we talk about any conflict. There are too many variables with too many unknowns to go back and decide, "This was it...this is where things turned for better or worse". The cumulative effect of a multitude of events, 95% outside of U.S. military control, lead to where we are today.

Now, did the U.S. military shape, cajole, and influence the environment...absolutely. But is there any way to accurately measure the effects the U.S. military actions had intertwined with all of the above factors you mentioned? Tough to say.

I think the ASW campaign is great example of a how a combination of tactics, techniques, procedures, policies and technological breakthroughs tipped the scales in favor of the allies. You cannot point to a single event (convoying, sonar, hedgehogs, Ultra, Leigh-lights, Coastal Command, coastal blackouts, etc) which lead to the turning of the tides. All of those actions and inactions resulted in a shift.