Thread: Intervention in Iraq, 1958-1959

Council Member

Default Intervention in Iraq, 1958-1959

MEI, Apr 08: Intervention in Iraq, 1958-1959
    At times, history can offer valuable lessons for a policy apparatus mired in its own brand of keyhole myopia. Iraq is a case in point. In 1958-1959, the United States faced a situation in Iraq eerily parallel to that of 2003. It appeared that only preemptive intervention could prevent Iraq from falling under Soviet Communist domination. In the shadow of Sputnik and armed with an alarmist Special National Intelligence Estimate (SNIE) on the future of Iraq, the intelligence community, the State Department, the Pentagon, and activist interventionist elements in the Eisenhower Administration argued about the necessity of preemptive intervention to avert disaster. The intervention never happened; the Communist threat disappeared; and Iraq continued on its fractious, brutal road careening between instability to dictatorship. What made the difference? Quite simply, while the man in the Oval Office, Dwight Eisenhower, may have known little about Iraq, he knew something about the military, about occupations, about diplomacy, and about a conservative approach to serving the interests of the United States.....
    Complete 14 page paper at the link.
    Last edited by Jedburgh; 04-03-2008 at 12:51 AM.

Cool Links

Quote Originally Posted by Jedburgh View Post
    MEI, Apr 08: Intervention in Iraq, 1958-1959

Complete 14 page paper at the link.
    no good.

looks like someone renamed it

LINK
    Last edited by Ron Humphrey; 04-03-2008 at 12:42 AM. Reason: fix link
    Any man can destroy that which is around him, The rare man is he who can find beauty even in the darkest hours

Cogitationis poenam nemo patitur

Post A good historical perspective

For one to look at but except for the few lines where it is somewhat sarcastically referenced in relation to current affairs I don't see that the author actually pointed out at least some of what would be contextually similar circumstances which would point towards the wisdom of like actions.

Theres an awful lot of new ad different factors which are pretty much left un addressed and t us for me I'm not sure that the author actually sold me on his premise.

Just my take on it...
    Any man can destroy that which is around him, The rare man is he who can find beauty even in the darkest hours

Cogitationis poenam nemo patitur