Thread: US Army Exoskeleton

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Exploring Tactical Support of Mega Exo-Skeletons in Urban Ops

This thread proposes discussion of opportunities created by a first generation “mega exo-skeleton”: how such an exo-skeleton will create new individual and networked swarm capabilities based on combinations of mounted and dismounted, operated and robotic units. Essentially, we want to examine how current technology can be employed to provide firepower, protection and weight carrying capacity that will work with soldiers in narrow alleys, courtyards and even facilities.

A series of Tactical Decision Games is proposed as a basis on which to gain insights on a range of new tactics such a system can provide in urban warfare.

First, some information about JAKE, and its definition of a new category of “exo-skeleton”: the JAKE in “alley fighter” configuration is an “exo-skeleton” in a somewhat different sense, figuratively a “Segway on steroids” that one operates at the rear of the vehicle protected by a ‘clamshell’ opening ballistic shield. You will note he has a pintle-mounted, heavy weapon (M249, M240, M134 or M2). The space below the weapons can take either another warfighter/operator within a ballistic protected cockpit and shields, or load of up to 2,000 pounds. A side view picture shows the JAKE in balanced position relative to its load and patrol operation. With more load in the lower bay, the axle automatically adjusts to center the total vehicle’s weight for 95% load on the prime wheels. Likewise, the units adjusts for a warfighter mounting the JAKE, as it does for varied conditions of operation. At higher speeds, the wheelbase lengthens for greater stability. This compact unit allows quick rotation of the loaded vehicle due to rotation being about its center of mass. Though it may be compared to the Segway in ways, the JAKE is always stable, and adjusts to provide maximum stability when firing heavier weapons.

Note the operator is at a level where he can talk with people on the street – not as closely as a person riding a Segway but almost on eye level. By its balancing system, the JAKE maintains full traction of its rear wheels and a “solid stance on its feet”. It is capable of speeds of up to 45 mph. The unit is operational manned and unmanned. In close quarters, this 3,000 lb has agile rotational maneuver, carrying a 2,000 lb payload. It is 5 ft wide, 8 ft long and 6 ½ ft tall, able to rapidly spin around within a 10 foot space (in ‘alley fighter’ configuration). Prime tires are HMMWV size and hybrid electric drive allows operation with diesel engine off, providing a 3 mile “stealth mode”. There are fold down steps on each side so additional warfighters can ride, free to quickly dismount. Next design has a heavier protective step. These hardware capabilities are deployable in 12-18 months.

JAKEs may be operated remotely, or much like cavalrymen, someone has to watch the vehicles if the operators dismount to attend to something else (though units may carry denial-of-approach systems) This may be by a remote operator who is linked interactive with the JAKE operator or by electronically linking JAKEs so that control of his JAKE is turned over to another Marine who remains mounted. The unmanned JAKEs then follow the manned JAKE.

For the initial TDGs, we will stick to existing weapons systems (M249, M240, M134, M2) but JAKE’s cargo capacity and electrical system allow it to support various advanced weapon systems, lethal and non-lethal, area denial systems, sensors and robots.

As the inadvertent “inventor” of JAKE, I clearly state that I have an unavoidable “commercial interest”. However, since Jake is the only unit today that offers this combination of mobility and protection in such a compact agile package, I think it is important to explore the possibilities it offers. Please consider that discussion of the JAKE here also presents risks to “commercial interest”, risks to our costs of development of others now copying and competing. Due to this, not all features of the Jake can be disclosed. For illustration and framing solutions, I am disclosing general information.

In short: I believe that the opportunities to be opened make this worth vetting by Small Wars Council members, stimulating new thinking and exploring national security implications through their eyes.

Further information on JAKE is at Operation American Agility website with video in upper homepage text showing units operating, video on Catalyst page of varied people, soldiers and Marines speaking on tactics and capabilities. Answers are also on page “Common Questions”.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jedburgh; 02-27-2008 at 01:21 PM.
    "If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are right." Henry Ford

"Where no oxen are, the crib is clean: but much increase is by the strength of the ox." Proverbs 14:4

Hi Russ,

I can see some possibilities, but it might be more useful if you could toss us a single scenario or question. If it is a longish scenario, it would probably be better for you to give us a short precis and a link to the longer version.

Marc
    Last edited by marct; 02-27-2008 at 02:49 PM. Reason: added comment
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

Russ,

I would make a more basic recommendation: use English an average reader would understand. When I see "Exploring Tactical Support of Mega Exo-Skeletons in Urban Ops" I can only wonder what you are talking about.

Best

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post
    I would make a more basic recommendation: use English an average reader would understand. When I see "Exploring Tactical Support of Mega Exo-Skeletons in Urban Ops" I can only wonder what you are talking about.
    Tom, you mean this isn't about Robotech or MechWarrior !!!
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Senior Research Fellow,
    Carleton University

Why do I have visions of Ripley/Sigourney Weaver in that cargo-handling "exo skeleton" wrasslin' with the Alien?

Quote Originally Posted by wm View Post
    Why do I have visions of Ripley/Sigourney Weaver in that cargo-handling "exo skeleton" wrasslin' with the Alien?
    Man you and I must have done a Vulcan mind-meld because that is exactly what I thought of..

Quote Originally Posted by marct View Post
    Tom, you mean this isn't about Robotech or MechWarrior !!!
    I started thinking Warhammer 40k myself....Tau battle armor all around....
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Council Member

Default Does Red Team Get These?

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Strong View Post
    The JAKE in “alley fighter” configuration is an “exo-skeleton” in a somewhat different sense, ...This compact unit allows quick rotation of the loaded vehicle due to rotation being about its center of mass. Though it may be compared to the Segway in ways, the JAKE is always stable, and adjusts to provide maximum stability when firing heavier weapons.

Note the operator is at a level where he can talk with people on the street ... By its balancing system, the JAKE maintains ...a “solid stance on its feet...up to 45 mph. The unit is operational manned and unmanned. In close quarters, this 3,000 lb unit has agile rotational maneuver, carrying a 2,000 lb payload. It is 5 ft wide, 8 ft long and 6 ½ ft tall, able to rapidly spin around within a 10 foot space (in ‘alley fighter’ configuration). Prime tires are HMMWV size and hybrid electric drive allows operation with diesel engine off, providing a 3 mile “stealth mode”...existing weapons systems (M249, M240, M134, M2)...JAKE’s cargo capacity and electrical system allow it to support various advanced weapon systems, lethal and non-lethal, area denial systems, sensors and robots. ...not all features of the Jake can be disclosed. For illustration and framing solutions, I am disclosing general information.
    Per William Owen's questions above relative to JAKE specifications, I provide reference from start of this thread. As Marc noted in his post above, not all details are to be online. (some are already concerned with descriptions as they are).

I appreciate Wilf's comments and thoughts on definitions, since this is one a main areas of study and why the thread here, with a new system and tactics opened by the JAKE's capabilities. In a program framed up within the Army in 2005 (that got jammed up) there was to be a 2 month, 40 Special Ops guys, 15 JAKEs, a number of HMMWV's and LAVs and a series of mission scenarios within a MOUT facility. The exercise would run varied configurations of force: 3 JAKEs per HMMWV and 9 dismounted infantry, 4 JAKEs (1 remote operated) per HMMWV and LAV and 12 dismounted, or 6 JAKEs per HMMWV and 6 infantry supported by a LAV in remote support, etc... This would have fleshed out a lot of what William F. Owen and Marc are noting (and Marc would have recognized that they were working to take into account that someone like him would be on the Red Team) So, comments and the unique perspectives you bring are good. Relative to how easy JAKEs can be dealt with by an opponent obviously depends on how they are employed and how they move with teamed coverage.

Marc noted benefit of a unit having a high profile in the urban environment and COIN, and this was a prime interest of USASOC guys early on, wanting to be able to see over cars and people. They also wanted the unit to be able to take serious hits of cars and trucks, which JAKE configuration provides (same beltline and HMMWV sized tires) and some heft and payload, yet very compact and agile and always a 'ready gun position', or as an infantry guys have viewed it: "mobile foxholes" (something that an ATV isn't configured to be).

It may be interesting to note that the first USASOC interactions were prior to 9/11 with initial interests focused on Central and South American slums where the HMMWH size restricted their "go-zones" significantly. And, they liked that the JAKE could directly convert to tracks for other missions as needed.

In the challenge the JAKE has faced, and still faces, in getting an assessment program as teamed system (rather than normal assessing as a singular unit), it is interesting that after a demo of a JAKE and within ensuing discussions, a Marine will say "just make sure the Red Team doesn't have these". I second that. Make sure Marc doesn't have them hanging around in the background.

Russ
    Last edited by Russ Strong; 03-07-2008 at 07:28 PM. Reason: typo

"Where no oxen are, the crib is clean: but much increase is by the strength of the ox." Proverbs 14:4

Hi Russ,

In a program framed up within the Army in 2005 (that got jammed up) there was to be a 2 month, 40 Special Ops guys, 15 JAKEs, a number of HMMWV's and LAVs and a series of mission scenarios within a MOUT facility. The exercise would run varied configurations of force: 3 JAKEs per HMMWV and 9 dismounted infantry, 4 JAKEs (1 remote operated) per HMMWV and LAV and 12 dismounted, or 6 JAKEs per HMMWV and 6 infantry supported by a LAV in remote support, etc... This would have fleshed out a lot of what William F. Owen and Marc are noting (and Marc would have recognized that they were working to take into account that someone like him would be on the Red Team) So, comments and the unique perspectives you bring are good. Relative to how easy JAKEs can be dealt with by an opponent obviously depends on how they are employed and how they move with teamed coverage.
    Hokay, that lineup does help a touch with planing. I must admit, I'm a touch surprised that you didn't also include a 3 or 6 remote JAKE option - I would have. And, just because I like political theatre so much, I would make sure that there are life size dummies in the remote versions. This way, the JAKEs could still operate in a fire-support and recon mode but have he added advantage of acting as stalking horses. The downside is that pesky relative cost ration between a JAKE and an IED or RPG.

In the challenge the JAKE has faced, and still faces, in getting an assessment program as teamed system (rather than normal assessing as a singular unit), it is interesting that after a demo of a JAKE and within ensuing discussions, a Marine will say "just make sure the Red Team doesn't have these". I second that. Make sure Marc doesn't have them hanging around in the background.
    But that is a perfect counter scenario . Especially if they were "appropriated" by the other side <evil grin>. Anyway, I can always come up with other evil ways to play havoc with them, but not in a public forum .

Marc
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Senior Research Fellow,
    Carleton University

Council Member

Default Deception is good

Quote Originally Posted by marct View Post
    I'm a touch surprised that you didn't also include a 3 or 6 remote JAKE option - I would have. And, just because I like political theatre so much, I would make sure that there are life size dummies in the remote versions. This way, the JAKEs could still operate in a fire-support and recon mode but have he added advantage of acting as stalking horses. The downside is that pesky relative cost ration between a JAKE and an IED or RPG.
    There were quite a number of other mission and force configurations framed up in the earlier assessment proposal. I listed only a couple. As you said, it would quickly grow, or be zeroed in from there with what did the trick for what ops mission.

Yeah, Marc, you are right there with our seasoned Special Ops dudes on this...as they wanted dummies to inflate (even remotely inflate and deflate) to produce a considerable range of deception tactics...the who is where, and who went where? And where the hell are they now?" And to draw sniper fire (where an obviously unmanned unit wouldn't) for marking sniper locations with its sensors (intel with less risk)

Costs of a JAKE lost, versus a warrior, is minimal. If you knew you were going to work some "stalking horses" into the mix, you might want to use "stripped out" units, but cosmetically the same (pretty simple, because the JAKE platform is highly modular) running at a fraction of a warfighter JAKE.

Russ

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Well having had another long look, I can't quite see where JAKE gets us, that is a whole lot further on than Supacat

http://www.supacat.com/supacat_products_catMil.htm

Supacat is just a little bigger, but already proven and in service. It could easily be armoured, and will go almost anywhere in an urban or rural environment.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's wish to make money here, but I see no point in re-inventing the wheel.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Council Member

Default Tailored to the Mission

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
    Well having had another long look, I can't quite see where JAKE gets us, that is a whole lot further on than Supacat

Supacat is just a little bigger, but already proven and in service. It could easily be armoured, and will go almost anywhere in an urban or rural environment…. I see no point in re-inventing the wheel.
    This is a reasonable question, particularly with the Supracat being a “great piece of kit”, as the British would say. The answer is found in looking at the original warfighters’ interests in the Jake, and how interests have expanded from there. First, alleys and slums present different situations and a whole other terrain to that of open areas. Our warfighters were interested in "powered support" here, meaning heavier weapons, medivac and gear. But, they were only interested if powered support were with incredible agility (ability to individually react, fast rotation, high "dash speed", ability to reconfigure a situation rapidly), all in a compact package (now a key interest is fitting in a V-22 Osprey, which it will).

It comes down to the "powered support" unit having to be able to maneuver the most like a foot soldier maneuvers and splitting up our guys so they are the most independently reactive. There are new technologies that the JAKE incorporates in a new way, that bring new capabilities into this range of what they will consider. And, you can clearly see within the posts of this discussion the significant threshold of performance and characteristics that must be met to even consider altering definitions within infantry style maneuver.

I would not be here continuing to help get our troops new capabilities if there weren't serious seasoned warfighters encouraging me to keep going, that this effort is needed (in fact in a US Army BAA in 2005 titled "Vehicle for Individual Soldier Protection", of 23 submissions covering the range from ATVs to ‘Supracats’ type vehicles, the JAICV (now JAKE) was determined the only "innovation warfighting platform". The key words here being "warfighting" and "innovation". JAKE was noted as an "Agent of Change". This program is suspended due to the Army's issues with armor…and other stuff…)

The point was, and remains, how do we innovate into a step past incremental change in capabilities? Special Operations sees continued movement of conflict and stabilization efforts into urban environments, and increasing situations requiring rapid insertion of surgical force. So, what can be studied that provides the greatest opportunities for advance for these missions?

As a side note: They encouraged expansion of the JAKE's modular design, since when they can get JAKE "alley fighters", they saw it as highly desirable to be able to configure its common power units, robotics, controls, communications, diagnostics, etc, to other missions with tracks and 6WD so they do not have logistical challenges that come with more and different vehicles in the overall system (an increasing problem as all the stuff gets a bit more sophisticated today). But, the core focus was: "In the alleys, do not be restrained (affecting a warrior's surviveability) by requirements for missions they are not on. This meant, don't limit the guy in the alley with stuff to meet requirements for a mission in the Mekong Delta, and vice versa. When in the alleys, make him an "alley fighter", no holds barred. These guys tend to have some attitude and they make their point very clear.

I'm just trying to honor their insights and the fact they are the ones with their lives on the line.

Russ

Default US Army Exoskeleton

What can I say? Terminator? Alien? This suit does it all, video and some text at the link http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7351314.stm
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.