I found the article disturbing based on the meetings and audience. DOD, is attempting to use a hierarchical model to reach academia and by going through the University presidents hopes to achieve some objective. Yet University presidents are basically figure heads who are seeking funds. Especially the R1 types. Oh, and don’t let me started on R1 theory theocracies where applied science is a death knell. So, if they (DOD) want to get academia involved their method is to jump past the independent researchers and grab the top people who have the least influence on the scholarship being done.

Why didn’t they invite the top researchers in the disciplines they want to see completed? It wouldn’t take a genius to roll up the names of the top researchers in specific disciplines. Oh, wait they are trying to repair the discord that exists. I can just imagine my University President going down to the gray beards in liberal arts (R1s are heavily populated by aging baby-boomers) and saying forget the 60s lets go place nice with the Army. Oooh. That might be fun to watch….

Minerva? The virgin goddess of warriors? Virgins and warriors are few and far between on our campus.