Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Metal music - still in the thought stage

As a big time audio-phile i was the goto guy for music in theatre, I had two major playlists for everyone, one was lots of heavy industrial, punk, and metal most guys would listen to that prior to heading out and the other was chillout electronica and trance that most listened to when they came back to settle the nerves a bit. I usually ran an Ipod through a FM transmitter to listen to stuff in my NTV, and did have a few very intense short playlists that we utilized during pre-dawn raids, played extremely loud through the PSYOPS guys speakers on their gun truck. If your interested i can email you these playlists.
    ODI PROFANUM VULGUS ET ARCEO

Definitely! PM sent!
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

Quote Originally Posted by wierdbeard View Post
    If your interested i can email you these playlists.
    Please email me too !

I recall my days along the MDL attempting to sleep as the North Korean loudspeakers blared their propaganda at all hours. Not one hint of music (unless you just got into that whining sound).

I reckon folks subjected to our PSYOPS had/have the same opinion, or, like most of us in Korea, it later merely lulled you into a deep sleep and literally became a routine.

Secret living in the Shadows - serving at the North Korea border - Brief Article
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Default wierdbeard

me too, if you please.
    "THIS is my boomstick!"

Some huge differences between today and the early to mid 1960s where protest became inflamed across the United States is the baby-boomer bump, is today the millennial slump. The culture of the beatniks was appropriated in many ways by the boomers and became protest movements centered around desegregation, civil rights, anti-war, the draft, corporatism, environment, and drug culture. As the boomers dropped out in the 70s they had way less kids, and the culture of protest became wars on poverty, crime, terrorism. Not all the boomers gave in, gave up, or quit. The huge numbers though did and left shells of organizations that have no where near the power of persuasion.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Quote Originally Posted by marct View Post
    we don't see that with these wars which makes me wonder.

maybe its just the complete lack of intyerest from most of the population.

There seems to be more "anti-war" (probably better described as anti-Bush) songs coming out. This recent one from Linkin Park is a good starter and has resonated very well with guys heading back on their second or third tour (or even fourth or fifth)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=573ffZPcm88 (with lyrics)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwAGc...eature=related (with film clip)

Green Day has a good shot at a recruiting program that offers a better start for young families with a mix of patriotism and machoness and then send them to Iraq for 12-15 months.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLjhRtn9j4A

Of course they aslo got in the act with U2 after Katrina and asked why the military was in Iraq when it should have been assiting in NO with "the Saints are coming"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seGhTWE98DU

System of a down asks who is actually doing the fighting with B.Y.O.B

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ5Tp97UgyQ

a bit different but the IO/PSYOP guy in me loves the words of Faithless' Weapons of Mass destruction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-MfC...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by selil View Post
    Some huge differences between today and the early to mid 1960s where protest became inflamed across the United States is the baby-boomer bump, is today the millennial slump. The culture of the beatniks was appropriated in many ways by the boomers and became protest movements centered around desegregation, civil rights, anti-war, the draft, corporatism, environment, and drug culture. As the boomers dropped out in the 70s they had way less kids, and the culture of protest became wars on poverty, crime, terrorism. Not all the boomers gave in, gave up, or quit. The huge numbers though did and left shells of organizations that have no where near the power of persuasion.
    I wonder how much the "perpetual, commercialized revolution/statement" has to do with it as well. By that I mean the "look at me...I've got tats and studs in my lip...I'm protesting society" thing that has become so commonplace that it often has no real meaning.

Both the beats and the hippie-type movements stood out because they were considered so far from mainstream. Now that we have MTV, the various ESPNs, Goth clubs, tat sleeves, and other assorted commercial expressions of rebellion, the actual passion may have faded into the background. Blending in with a group and mastering that quizzical facial expression that seems to represent concern, disgust, or simply smelling a bad odor seems to be more important.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Hi Spud,

Quote Originally Posted by Spud View Post
    maybe its just the complete lack of intyerest from most of the population.

There seems to be more "anti-war" (probably better described as anti-Bush) songs coming out.
    Thanks for these. I think you're correct in saying it's not so much anti-war as anti-Bush. All of them seem to have an ironic twist to them that seems to be repeating some major themes - (anti-)globalization, the "poor" being sent to fight, manipulation by the elites, and an almost "doomed" pride.

This recent one from Linkin Park is a good starter and has resonated very well with guys heading back on their second or third tour (or even fourth or fifth)
    I've listened to this one twice now and if it is resonating "with guys heading back on their second or third tour (or even fourth or fifth)" that tells me a lot .

Green Day has a good shot at a recruiting program that offers a better start for young families with a mix of patriotism and machoness and then send them to Iraq for 12-15 months.
    That is a brilliant song - in the sense of using music and emotions to ask questions.

a bit different but the IO/PSYOP guy in me loves the words of Faithless' Weapons of Mass destruction
    I can see why! "Fear is a weapon of mass destruction"; yeah...

There's an interesting difference I'm starting to pick up on which is that, unlike the anti-war songs of the 60's, these songs are not attacking the soldiers but, rather, the "system" (actually the social structures of the inter-social system).
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Senior Research Fellow,
    Carleton University

Hi Steve,

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Blair View Post
    I wonder how much the "perpetual, commercialized revolution/statement" has to do with it as well. By that I mean the "look at me...I've got tats and studs in my lip...I'm protesting society" thing that has become so commonplace that it often has no real meaning.
    Listening (and watching) the songs Spud just posted makes me wonder about that. Let me go off on a bit of a tangent for a minute to contextualize where my thinking is....

The late 60's-early '70's saw the death of he post-War compromise in employment practices, and the final nails were driven into the coffin of that type of social organization by the mid-80's at least in Canada). As a general rule, employment, including hiring practices, job search strategies, etc, moved out of an Authority Ranking (AR) system and into an Equality Matching (EM; aka reciprocity) system. You get jobs, or employees, mainly via personal networks even if the formal system is AR.

This trend away from AR and towards EM as dominant forms of social relationships has been accelerated by the development of fragmented, contingent communities brought together via various 'net based apps, and really pushed since the deployment of Net 2.0 and 2.5 technologies. Each of these contingent communities, while smaller that more "traditional" AR communities, is more specialized and much more flexible and adaptive (SWC is a good example of this type of community). Put simply, an individual can access better resources faster though them than through AR communities which means that individuals come to "trust" them more than AR communities.

In some ways, you're absolutely right that small counter-culture communities have been institutionalized and commercialized, but that very institutionalization and commercialization has served to reduce overall trust (and interest) in the larger AR communities (such as governments). When everyone "knows" (by personal experience) how strong personal networks and contingent communities are, they will start loking at the AR communities, like governments, and asking "who benefits? and "who pays?". Those are the types of tings I was seeing in the songs Spud posted.

Of course, I could be totally out to lunch on this , but it does seem to make sense.

Marc
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Senior Research Fellow,
    Carleton University

Quote Originally Posted by marct View Post
    When everyone "knows" (by personal experience) how strong personal networks and contingent communities are, they will start loking at the AR communities, like governments, and asking "who benefits? and "who pays?".
    Leonard Cohen's "Everybody Knows" lyrics seem apropos here. (I'm partial to the 1990 version by Concrete Blonde from "Pump up the Volume.")

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded
    Everybody rolls with their fingers crossed
    Everybody knows that the war is over
    Everybody knows that the good guys lost
    Everybody knows the fight is fixed
    The poor stay poor and the rich get rich
    Thats how it goes
    Everybody knows that the boat is sinking
    Everybody knows that the captain lied
    Everybodys got this broken feeling
    Like their momma or there dog just died
    Everybodys hands are in their pockets
    Everybody wants a box of chocolates
    And a long stem rose
    Everybody knows

Everybody knows
    Everybody knows
    Thats how it goes
    Everybody knows

Everybody knows that its now or never
    Everybody knows that its me or you
    Everybody knows that you live forever
    When you had a line or two
    Everybody knows the deal is rotten
    Old black joe still pickin cotton
    For ribbons and bows
    Everybody knows you love me baby
    Everybody knows that you really do
    Everybody knows that you been faithful
    Give or take a night or two
    Everybody knows you been discrete
    So many people you had to meet
    Without your clothes
    And everybody knows

This is for everyone that sent me PM's for the playlists, I'm working on it now to make it a bit easier to understand, i'll have it done in the next few days and send it out to everyone that is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by wierdbeard View Post
    This is for everyone that sent me PM's for the playlists, I'm working on it now to make it a bit easier to understand, i'll have it done in the next few days and send it out to everyone that is interested.
    Thanks Weirdbeard. Given the interest, I'm wondering if it mightn't be better to post it?

Marc
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Senior Research Fellow,
    Carleton University

its quite large, i'll try and post a link to it.

Default All about the money

Quote Originally Posted by tequila View Post
    The draft, as RA pointed out, also involved a far larger segment of the American youth population than the current war, which as has been tirelessly stated on this site and others involves a voluntary few compared to the conscripted many.
    Add to that equation that the draft pool was also smaller then due to the differences in the general population level in the mid to late 60's as compared to now. Also the average US casualty rate is nothing like some of the bad months in Vietnam (14,000+ KIA in '68).
    "What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women."

Default The opposite of where this thread's goin but ...

Niki Barr has been on several USO tours of both theatres. She's just written track in support of the Marines she spent time with.

http://www.nikibarr.com/music/?id=9

Play track 1 - Undivided

Lyrics

Undivided
    This is the point of no return
    This is where you show what you’re worth
    This is where we make their heads turn
    This is where somebody gets hurt

This marks the place where you show no tears
    Anticipating the end is near
    This time you’re ok, the coast is clear
    No, you can't ever show any fear because

We are the strong
    You can't hold our backs to the wall

Undivided we stand
    Undivided we fall
    Undivided we stand
    Undivided... or we’re nothing at all

This is where you get what you earn
    So don’t forget what you have learned
    This is where reality turns
    And this is how good men get burned

Holding the lines through the rain and fire
    Shoulder to shoulder we'll never tire
    We keep moving forward, a thousand miles
    Cuz this is how we build an empire

We stand our ground
    We watch them all fall down
    sure beats listening to that bloody over-played Toby Keith piece of crap ... American Soldier. Anyone that tells you PSYOP loudspeaker ops have no effect just need to tune into AFR ... I'm betting this is still on high rotation even though it is permanently imprinted on everyone's mind.

Default Some other music

I know a bunch of people for whom "Voodoo Chile" by Jimi is required listening as they roll out, ever since the roll-out scene in BlackHawk Down.

If you want a good video of more contemporary music/action, check out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpVXE95rijI

For some hot tankin' action.
    Brant
    Wargaming and Strategy Gaming at Armchair Dragoons
    Military news and views at GrogNews

“their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of ‘rights’… and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure.” Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers 1959

Play more wargames!

Council Member

Can heavy metal music help transform the Middle East?

Quote Originally Posted by slate.com
    Pink Floyd's album The Wall takes on a whole new meaning when brought to life by an Arab metal band in Lebanon. Imagine 100,000 teens—Sunni, Shiite, Christian, Druze—headbanging in sync, pumping their fists in unison, screaming, "Hey, teacher, leave those kids alone!" even as another civil war, waged by their parents, threatens to tear their country apart yet again.
    Includes youtube videos.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveMetz View Post
    Sometimes it takes someone without deep experience to think creatively.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by BayonetBrant View Post
    I know a bunch of people for whom "Voodoo Chile" by Jimi is required listening as they roll out, ever since the roll-out scene in BlackHawk Down.

If you want a good video of more contemporary music/action, check out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpVXE95rijI

For some hot tankin' action.
    Wasn't it Stevie Ray Vaughn's version of "Voodoo Chile" that was used in Black Hawk Down? I'm pretty sure it was his. Personally, I normally perfer Jimi's versions, but two big exceptions are Voodoo Chile" and "Little Wing."

Adam L

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Rank amateur View Post
    Israel has a thriving music industry, and some of it from Arab Israelis. DAM being the best.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIo6lyP9tTE

Ha Dag Nacash, are a "Zionist" Hip Hop band - seen then live. Excellent!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeHO4lDxJ54

...and Terry Poison are some white girls, from Jerusalem
    http://www.terrypoison.com/
    Last edited by William F. Owen; 07-31-2008 at 05:57 AM. Reason: can spell Ha Dag Nachash
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Adam L View Post
    Wasn't it Stevie Ray Vaughn's version of "Voodoo Chile" that was used in Black Hawk Down? I'm pretty sure it was his. Personally, I normally perfer Jimi's versions, but two big exceptions are Voodoo Chile" and "Little Wing."

Adam L
    It was the SRV version of "Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)" that was used in BHD.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War