Generally passive and believers in the eight fold path, the Thais, Khmer, and numerous other Buddhists have a warrior culture. The insurgents in S. Thailand are trying to provoke a Buddhist response (I mean local Buddhist citizens, not the Thai government) in order to mobilize more Muslims to join their radical movement out of fear, because they will need protection from the Buddhists. So far they have been unsuccessful with the exception of a few minor retaliatory attacks. This is similar to the strategy that the JI used semi-successfully in Indonesia a few years back. I think it is John Robb that refers to this as primary loyalties, which we’re seeing in Iraq. As long as the State remains viable and adequately provides for the people, nationalism can exist above tribalism. If the State falters, then tribes will become the primary loyalty base. That is why a ying and yang approach is required, if you’re all military action (I’ll make you tap out) you’ll facilitate their argument (their narrative) that the State is against them, and they’ll mobilize more to their side. If you don’t take sufficient military action, and you can’t create a secure environment, people will side with the insurgents unwillingly for protection. There are no easy answers to the problem in S. Thailand, but one of the keys is to keep it from escalating if at all possible. It may be too late, it is sort like a forest fire, once it gets so big it creates it own wind that drives the fire.