Thread: The Taliban collection (2006 onwards)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default IEA still in use in AFG

Quote Originally Posted by jmm99 View Post
    The Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan was the name given to the nation of Afghanistan by the Taliban during their rule, from 1996 to 2001.
    And the term still used by Afghanistan's Taliban in its statements, like this one (.pdf, link to non-terrorist page)

I wouldn't doubt if the answer isn't "yes" to both questions. It could be various mujahideen separating themselves from Taliban, and it could also be Taliban attempting to relabel themselves. And possibly simultaneously.

It could also be incompetent reporting, as well.

Council Member

Default Not a good subject for armchair analysts ...

e.g., JMM. But below are some Wiki links (which might be used as a start to a lot of Googling). Probably best to keep in mind that Taliban generically means students - so, the "Taliban" are not a monolith.

Tehreek-e-Nafaz-e-Shariat-e-Mohammadi (TNSM, English: Movement for the Enforcement of Islamic Law) - These are the folks in Swat and Buner creating recent news, led by Sufi Muhammad bin Alhazrat Hassan (commonly Maulana Sufi Muhammad), and his son in law Maulana Qazi Fazlullah. This group is an offshoot from Jamaat-e-Islami (Pakistani political party founded in 1941 by Syed Abul A'ala Maududi).

All above not to be confused with Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP; Students' Movement of Pakistan) is a mainstream Taliban militant umbrella group in Pakistan, with apparent closer ties to Mullah Omar and UBL. Baitullah Mehsud is the leader of the pack, which came together ca. 2007-2009.

All of this gets more complicated, as per the following from the last link:

[edit] Leadership dispute
    On March 27, 2009, Pakistan's Daily Times reported that Baitullah Mehsud's group was engaged in a dispute with a group lead by Qari Zainuddin Mehsud for control of South Waziristan.[38] The Daily Times described Qari Zainuddin as the "self-appointed successor of Taliban commander Abdullah Mehsud." Both groups had distributed pamphlets leveling accusations against the other groups' leader. Qari Zainuddin stated that Baitullah's group was not practicing jihad because Islam forbids suicide attacks. Baitullah's pamphlet claimed that Qari Zainuddin was a government puppet and a traitor to Islam and to the Mehsud tribe.[38] Qari Zainuddin was reported to have the support of Maulvi Nazir, a senior Taliban leader, and to have allied with the Bhittani tribe.[38]
    Note 38 sources to this article.

Anyway, the "Taliban" are not a monolith - with quite a bit of linking and de-linking in "its" history.

Best I can do from my armchair on a Sunday afternoon.

Council Member

"It could also be incompetent reporting, as well. " (120mm)

-or just another opium war

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6256675.ece

ONE of Afghanistan’s most wanted terrorists is to be offered a power-sharing deal by the government of President Hamid Karzai as the country’s warlords extend their grip on power.

Gulbuddin Hekmatyar, who is on America’s “most wanted” terrorist list, is to hold talks with the Kabul government within the next few weeks.

Hekmatyar is the leader of Hezb-i-Islami, which has been fighting Nato troops alongside the Taliban. The hardline group is responsible for many attacks in the eastern and central regions, including the massacre of 10 French soldiers in Sarobi last year. It controls Kapisa province, just 50 miles north of Kabul.
    And now the deals can be made. Not too long ago, we were rolling Hezb-i-Islami into the Taliban. Now they used to fight alongside the Taliban. Next thing you know, they'll be allies and Afghani patriots.
    Last edited by 120mm; 05-10-2009 at 09:50 AM.

Default Incredible

I'd take this report with a large dose of scepticism; is such publicity designed to disable any talks between the Karzai government and Hekmatyr?

There was a recent UK Channel Four report that Kabul was a city under siege; see link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/ar...-bombings.html The TV report is on this, but may not work outside the UK: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/u...world/catch-up

Peter Oborne's despatch reminded me that is Hekmatyr's forces who bombarded Kabul for months during the civil war i.e. before the Taliban's appearance. Hardly encouraging for those who live in Kabul.

I am mindful that one provincial governor was or is Abu Sayyaf, whose name is linked to a terrorist group in the Phillipines (unable to quickly verify from Google search). He too fought against the Soviet supported regime and choose to be loyal to the Kabul government after US intervention.

davidbfpo

Council Member

Default Gulbuddin Hekmatyar backgrounder

Gulbuddin Hekmatyar and his group, according to Peter Bergen, received huge amounts of US aid, and of Saudi aid also:

Author Peter Bergen states that "by the most conservative estimates, $600 million" in American aid through Pakistan "went to the Hizb party, ... Hekmatyar's party had the dubious distinction of never winning a significant battle during the war, training a variety of militant Islamists from around the world, killing significant numbers of mujahideen from other parties, and taking a virulently anti-Western line. In addition to hundreds of millions of dollars of American aid, Hekmatyar also received the lion's share of aid from the Saudis.[21]"

21. Bergen, Peter L., Holy war, Inc. : inside the secret world of Osama bin Laden, New York : Free Press, c2001., p.69