Thread: Next Small War

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Post Mexico is already losing a small war

Recent reports from Nuevo Laredo and Aculpoco suggest that the Zeta narco terrorist and other drug gangs are fighting turf battles that the government is unable to respond to. In Nuevo Laredo the combat has been open at times and the latest surviving chief of police has made it clear that he does not intend to enforce the rule of law when it comes to the drug war. A report today, that you can check on my blog, indicates several murders in Aculpoco including high police officials. At this point the Zetas control more real estate in Mexico than al Qaeda controls in Iraq. These guys are also targeting law enforcement officals in the US. They are already a paramilitary force with training received back when they were in the Mexican army.

Recently the US and the State of Texas have beefed up law enforcment in the Laredo area, but I would not recomend going across the Rio Grande for adult beverages.

While I agree that Chavez is a potential adversary, I think any conflict with him would be more conventional. He has real assets he has to protect.
    Last edited by Merv Benson; 10-19-2005 at 11:12 PM.