Thread: Hoffman vs. Sageman: Myth of Grassroots Terrorism

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sageman v. Hoffman. I think they are arguing over nuts and berries while the forrest burns down around them. I've read two of Sagemans books, seen his lecture on "Leaderless Jihad", and I've read Hoffmans book too. It is a perspective and point of view difference. Quite silly the vitrol that has been tossed around but not unusual in academia. Neither author is really providing actionable base theory. If I could get a select dozen of the SWC around a table for a day we could exit with actionable plans to wipe AQ off the face of the earth. Problems v. Solutions.

ETA: Yes I know that sounds grandiose, but ... After reading several dozen books on terrorism I was struck by the epiphany that.... They all discuss the problems and not even ONE discusses the solutions. Now I'm grumbling.
    Last edited by selil; 06-11-2008 at 02:15 PM. Reason: ETA: Explanation of delusions of grandeur
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.