Thread: New Nerve Agent Cleansing Method Created

Council Member

Default New Nerve Agent Cleansing Method Created

UPI, 15 Apr 08: New Nerve Agent Cleansing Method Created
    Two Canadian scientists say they've developed a technology that rapidly and safely destroys the types of toxic agents used in chemical weapons and pesticides.

Queens University Professor Stan Brown and researcher Alexei Neverov said recent independent testing showed their non-corrosive, alcohol-based methodologies were more than 99 percent effective when used on the deadly nerve agents Tabun, Soman and VX.....

I don't know why, but this reminded me of something I heard on NPR yesterday (that's National Public Radio, for you furiners). They were discussing the case before the Supreme Court about the legality of the three part lethal injection used for executions. Someone was advocating shifting to a one part barbituate overdose which is what is used to euthanize animals. But someone opposed to that idea argued, among other things, that it "had not been tested on human subjects." Well DUH!!! Even a really, really dumb undergraduate is unlikely to sign up for THAT experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMetz View Post
    But someone opposed to that idea argued, among other things, that it "had not been tested on human subjects." Well DUH!!! Even a really, really dumb undergraduate is unlikely to sign up for THAT experiment.
    Well, I'm certain that someone who truly believes in the barbarity of the practice can be found to test it - just for the joy of being proven right. Maybe they could recruit someone here .
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

Council Member

Default 99 percent effective

Hmmm. Makes you wonder about the other 1%.

I don't know why, but this reminded me of something I heard on NPR yesterday (that's National Public Radio, for you furiners). They were discussing the case before the Supreme Court about the legality of the three part lethal injection used for executions. Someone was advocating shifting to a one part barbituate overdose which is what is used to euthanize animals. But someone opposed to that idea argued, among other things, that it "had not been tested on human subjects." Well DUH!!! Even a really, really dumb undergraduate is unlikely to sign up for THAT experiment.
    What me worry?

Well DUH!!! Even a really, really dumb undergraduate is unlikely to sign up for THAT experiment.

Depends... How much does it pay? I might have some volunteers... Time to go put some more chlorine in the academic gene pool.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Being a graduate of an acceptable institute of higher learning that just happened to be co-located with the Johnson & Johnson corporrate headquarters...

Steve- there's nothing a hungry or beer-deprived undergraduate won't sign up to test.

On the other hand, if this stuff proves to be viable, it is a heck of an improvement over the existing decon agents. Super Topical Bleach (STB) is almost as scary as the stuff it is supposed to decontaminate.