Thread: Second Congo War 1998-2003 Africa's world war

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Thick-headed

Hey Tom,
    Following your correspondence I began to laugh at Prunier's purported naivety but minutes later reading about a shameful DOD, Black American SOF incognito (didn't know we had that many Swahili and Lingala speakers - being one myself), just what he thinks FMS and FMF programs do, and, the cherry on top, what RONCO did and still does around the globe.

Thick !

Perhaps had you sent him a free copy of your book (this assumes he would read it if it were free of charge), he could have cleared up a few misnomers. Glad you saved me the 20 bucks and the pathetic read
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Stan

He later says that another group of 100+ African-American, drug dealing, sexually deviate, less than honorably discharged former US Army soldiers were brought in for the 2nd war. Supposedly they were split-based at Bukavu and Iwawa (Wahu) island. He refers to Iwawa as a "former Peace Corps camp"; maybe it was much much earlier but in 1995 it was the rebel base the RPA cleared. I cannot imagine trying to use it as a rear base for operations in South Kivu but hey I am not Prunier. Here is a shot of the beach and the only buildings on the island. The map is a scan Ross Johnson and I used to plot our findings on in November 1995.

best

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post
    Stan

He later says that another group of 100+ African-American, drug dealing, sexually deviate, less than honorably discharged former US Army soldiers were brought in for the 2nd war. Supposedly they were split-based at Bukavu and Iwawa (Wahu) island. He refers to Iwawa as a "former Peace Corps camp"; maybe it was much much earlier but in 1995 it was the rebel base the RPA cleared. I cannot imagine trying to use it as a rear base for operations in South Kivu but hey I am not Prunier. Here is a shot of the beach and the only buildings on the island. The map is a scan Ross Johnson and I used to plot our findings on in November 1995.

best

Tom
    There was actually some kind of PC camp on the island in the mid 80s (we took a few FMF Swiftships for a spin and got an "up close and personal" view of "going native" )

Two things come to mind looking at this map of the grands lacs

Why in God's name I let you talk me into the trip along the western frontier

and, why Prunier and countless others never bothered reading open sources such as VAO, the Washington College of Law's field reports or even the Rwanda Gateway (since he wouldn't read your book).

Well, there is one more thing... Tom, can you swim ?
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Council Member

I read the review on the blog and really liked it (the review, that is!). It's not exactly comforting to know that such shoddy research can slip through all the publishing and editorial hoops.