Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who the Heck Did Invade Iraq?

Default Who the Heck Did Invade Iraq?

Feith says U.S., U.K., Australia, Poland, and Czech Republic. Sanchez says U.S., U.K., Australia, Poland, and Denmark. I know those Europeans all look alike, but anyone have anything definitive?

Duchy of Grand Fenwick.

The Prime Minister Count Rupert Mountjoy was a longtime advocate of network centric warfare and wanted an easy win to prove his point...

Council Member

Default "Victory has 100 fathers,

defeat is and orphan." JFK paraphrasing Count Ciano paraphrasing Tacitus.

BTW, I just Googled the quote - it seemed appropriate.

Cheers

JohnT

Council Member

Ok, I will come clean and admit it - I invaded Iraq.

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
    Ok, I will come clean and admit it - I invaded Iraq.
    Now we're making progress. Are you a Dane? (And if so, are you great or just pretty good?) There's something fishy about Sanchez's comment.

My understanding was that the invasion of Iraq never actually occurred and that we have total situational denialbility (not to be mistaken for awareness).

You can't prove it happened. Are you so lacking in patriotism to even suggest there was an invasion? Go talk to congress they are the ones who authorized the spending bill.

Why there are only a few advisor's in Iraq helping the poor indigenous population build a new free democracy and they were welcomed with flowers and open arms. IED's are the work of the democratic national committee.

It is a main stream media hyperbolic imaginary fancy based on the fervor a few reactionary bloggers and has no basis in reality no matter what the facts are.

I don't want to discuss some fanciful supposition I will let history guide my current reality.

I want to be the white house press secretary how am I doing?
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Council Member

Default Hmmm

If my memory serves, which often it does but sometimes does not, Sanchez has the right five. The Australians, Poles and Danes, IIRC, all contributed SOF forces - each a couple or three hundred, but these numbers could be wrong. I think the Australians had a ship or two in the Gulf (not sure about this) but I have not the faintest whether the Danes and Poles had any ships deployed.

There were a fair number of various militaries in peripheral ‘support’. Anyone remember, in the early briefings by senior American officers talking about the ‘Coalition’, the poor Dutch officer in the background with his look of anguish as he just knew people were thinking the Dutch were part of the ‘Coalition’? (They weren’t, of course, they were providing Art 4 support to Turkey as the Dutch manned the Patriot batteries deployed there and the Dutch officer on backstage was the liaison officer.)

Not sure whether any Czech biochem units were deployed to Kuwait, just in case, but I seem to remember that the Germans sent some of their biochem people to Kuwait, so I would be surprised if the Czechs did not do so as well. And no, I am not offering any exculpating support to Feith for getting it wrong........

Selil posted
    I want to be the white house press secretary how am I doing?
    The knock you now hear on your door is the job offer - that, or it is the Cheney's irony police come to send you on a vacation in sunny Cuba.

Quote Originally Posted by TT View Post
    If my memory serves, which often it does but sometimes does not, Sanchez has the right five. The Australians, Poles and Danes, IIRC, all contributed SOF forces - each a couple or three hundred, but these numbers could be wrong. I think the Australians had a ship or two in the Gulf (not sure about this) but I have not the faintest whether the Danes and Poles had any ships deployed.

There were a fair number of various militaries in peripheral ‘support’. Anyone remember, in the early briefings by senior American officers talking about the ‘Coalition’, the poor Dutch officer in the background with his look of anguish as he just knew people were thinking the Dutch were part of the ‘Coalition’? (They weren’t, of course, they were providing Art 4 support to Turkey as the Dutch manned the Patriot batteries deployed there and the Dutch officer on backstage was the liaison officer.)

Not sure whether any Czech biochem units were deployed to Kuwait, just in case, but I seem to remember that the Germans sent some of their biochem people to Kuwait, so I would be surprised if the Czechs did not do so as well. And no, I am not offering any exculpating support to Feith for getting it wrong........

The knock you now hear on your door is the job offer - that, or it is the Cheney's irony police come to send you on a vacation in sunny Cuba.
    The Germans never entered Iraq. I drove past their parked vehicles at Camp Doha in April and May. The Czechs I don't know about.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMetz View Post
    Now we're making progress. Are you a Dane? (And if so, are you great or just pretty good?) There's something fishy about Sanchez's comment.
    Dare we google "fishy Sanchez?"

What might we catch?

Council Member

SteveMetz posted: The Germans never entered Iraq.
    Sorry, I did not mean to imply that they had.

I asked John Agoglia and he wasn't sure. May drop a line to Keven Benson. It wouldn't surprise me if SOCCENT was running its own parallal war sort of off the books.

Default Caution - Poles Yes; Danes no.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMetz View Post
    Feith says U.S., U.K., Australia, Poland, and Czech Republic. Sanchez says U.S., U.K., Australia, Poland, and Denmark. I know those Europeans all look alike, but anyone have anything definitive?
    I am doubtful that the original partners in the war's opening stages included the Czech Republic; Denmark was not involved in the opening and I recall some Poles surprise they were - as revealed by some TV footage of Polish SF before the government said yes we're there.

Wikipedia has some bizarre comments on the allies role.

davidbfpo

Default May be wrong but I think the Czechs

(again *) sent a Chemical Recon/Decon Co initially...

* As I believe they did in the 91 war.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    (again *) sent a Chemical Recon/Decon Co initially...

* As I believe they did in the 91 war.
    But the question is whether they were in the initial entry force. Maybe that's what Feith meant.

Council Member

Davidfpo posted Denmark was not involved in the opening
    Steve’s question has been bugging me, so I have done a bit of digging around my e-files. As far as I can find, I was completely wrong suggesting that Denmark may have contributed SOF forces (possibly the conflation of my fallible memory - Denmark contributed to 200 SOF to OEF in 2002). David is right that Denmark was not involved in the opening.

But it was a 'member' of the invading coalition.

The Danish parliament on 21 March 2003 passed resolution nr. B 118, which furnished parliamentary consent for the contribution of Danish military forces to the ‘multinational effort’ (this resolution was notable as reportedly it was the first time since 1864 that Denmark was a ‘warring nation’). The Danish contribution was one corvette and one submarine. Given how late in the day the resolution was passed, the corvette did not get on station until 9th April when it joined the US-UK-Aus operations; reportedly it was deployed in the northern area of the Gulf. I found nothing on precisely when the submarine arrived or what it did, only a vague statement that it was ‘deployed in the area’ (the Gulf?) and so seemingly would have arrived in the Gulf (if it was not there already) before the corvette.

So it seems officially Denmark was one of the five members of the US-led coalition that invaded Iraq, but only furnished two ships, no ground forces, and did not participate in the initial phases of the invasion (hence, as an answer to Steve's latest question, were not part of the initial entry force, unless there were Danish SOF forces surreptitiously involved - but again, I did not find anything saying there were)

The only stuff in my files I found on the Czech Republic was that it was undecided whether to side with the US-UK or France-Germany on the issue. That that newly elected president Vaclav Klaus was against the war, as was Czech public opinion, suggests that is is very unlikely that the Czech Republic was a member of the invading coalition (but I may stand to be corrected on this last point).

As best I can tell based on the memoirs...

Nobody really "invaded" Iraq. There were a bunch of troops in Kuwait for a joint training exercise that sort of got out of hand...

John Wolfsberger, Jr.

An unruffled person with some useful skills.

Quote Originally Posted by J Wolfsberger View Post
    As best I can tell based on the memoirs...

Nobody really "invaded" Iraq. There were a bunch of troops in Kuwait for a joint training exercise that sort of got out of hand...

It was a military industrial complex coup against the good nature and thought out considerations of the POTUS and Feith... Really I read it in their book. Powell and the CIA did it all on their own.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Default We did it alone!

I am proud to say the British forces deployed to Kuwait, to prevent an Iraqi incursion, in 1961, were so embedded by 2003 we forgot they were there and they executed the entire mission to re-take Baghdad when Tony Blair wanted revenge for the USA invasion of Grenada (a sop to Mrs T). A coalition of AJ and US networks used CGI techniques to pretend it was the USA and friends, yes even the Danes.

Then we thought revenge for the so-caleld War of Independence and we left it to you to cope with and learn the hard way about imposing alien standards on a people in revolt.

I blame these thoughts on watching General Michael Rose and the half hour interview on Charlie Rose.

davidbfpo

Default AHA! I knew it...

Banastre Tarleton at the root of it all...

Well, I'm "pretty sure" some BRDM Rkh's went north from the Czech Republic. I was thinking they were following the Marines???

But I didn't take notes, and was in the Corps "Rear" when the initial invasion occurred, and as such, really wasn't paying that close attention to the maneuver forces.

I could ask my NCOIC, who was the NBC NCO for the Corps.