Quote Originally Posted by Van View Post
At the most basic level, it seems to me that the choke points are the copper disks and blasting caps.
I think you are hitting on the right issue - the logistics involved. That is why I think that machete is the next AK. The mobilization of forces formerly achieved by conscription will be replaced by large numbers of oppressed/impoverished young males who get fed up, find a leader or movement, and start slitting throats. These masses will not likely have the means to field AK's for all of their angry young men and, more importantly, would not be able to sustain the inflows of ammunition necessary for the inevitable spray-and-pray method of fire that would predominate. The machete requires no training and no resupply (except maybe some sharpening stones). And for warfare that occurs due to grievances among the people, rather than disputes among politicians, the fighting will take on a more personal angle. They will not be content to fire at one another from afar. They will want to look their adversaries in the eye as they hack away.

The EFP, while it may not be so complicated as to preclude its fabrication by non-state adversaries, seems more analogous to the Stingers that we gave the Afghanis to use against the Soviets. It was a weapon that was used sparingly, but with devastating effect, just as EFPs are. The introduction of that weapon had strategic consequences, just as the EFPs do in Iraq. And it requires a fair amount of training and planning to use both effectively.