Thread: Wear of the Uniform/Appearance Off-Installation

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The Marines are not immune...

as I remember under Mundy we switched from crew neck Ts to either V neck or no T in our "Charlies" the Army equivilent being the short sleeve shirt with Class A trousers. What a nice expense which lasted exactly four years. This also caused some leadership angst about excessive chest hair.

I remember the mama sans in Oki would actually add starch to the washers in the last few minutes of the rinse cycle. If you did laundry after them some of your civvies would come out a bit stiffer than they went in.

For headgear the Corps hasn't changed the utility cover all that much since WWII, other than the fabric.

The funniest thing I saw with the green cotton utilities were boo boos with the USMC/Eagle Globe and Anchor iron-on. When you received a new set you also had to buy the iron-on. The unwary would often fail to note that the iron-on's directions were printed on either side of the emblem but just happened to also be of the same iron-on material. A few young Marines ended up with a new pair of utilities with a nice set of iron-on directions neatly afixed on either side of the port pocket.
    Last edited by Umar Al-Mokhtār; 06-09-2008 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Poor spelling skills
    "What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women."