Quote Originally Posted by Granite_State View Post
I've been here a bit longer, but see things the same way. Hard to have a day go by without seeing a story about slashed military funding or overstretch in the Telegraph. If Brown goes, I think that'll be pretty far down the lists of reasons why. But I also suspect the Tories wouldn't be much better, because they're just basically New Labour Lite now anyway.

Part of the issue may be that, at least as far as I've seen, ordinary squaddies aren't too well regarded. The usual stuff about drinking too much, starting fights, etc. Maybe things are the same if you live in a military town in the States like Fayetteville, I don't know, we don't have too many of those in New England. But then, there was also that story in the papers recently about RAF men in Peterborough (not far from me) being told not to wear their uniforms out in public.
I can remember in the 90's how the Canadian Forces were ordered by the Department of National Defense not to wear their uniforms off-duty or even in public while on-duty when possible. Unless troops are driving between bases (and wearing combat dress), the public practically never sees a uniformed soldier or officer in real life, even now.