Ah, yes! I remember those so-called "Ridgway" or "Castro" hats. The first year or so I was in the army, we wore them. What a nightmare! Then they were replaced by something sort of like a baseball hat. In Vietnam we bought them locally, as we did our cheap, black insignia with the paper underneath the threading. Two washes in the Saigon River and the paper came through the thread. Great stuff! The hats had a stiff front (I guess that's the crown), then rode up your head in the back. From there they went to that mish-mash hat you guys wear today.

The army has always been "fatigue-cap challenged," especially since the marines don't have the same problem. To me, they should just ditch the whole mess and wear the beret with "fatigues" or "combat dress" or whatever initials you use to describe those uniforms.

I never did like camouflage uniforms in public and I don't much like the battle dress I see walking around the Nut House today or even testifying before Congress. To me, it's just another case of lowering the bar, but maybe that's what a volunteer military needs.

Someone posted on here that you were not allowed off post in the old-style green fatigues except traveling to and from home and with gas stops factored in. That's correct. But also, in those days, you had a Class B uniform of khakis that was as comfortable as can be. Of course there were about 4 variations of that uniform and you could even buy a tropical worsted ("TW's") version that was gorgeous. Each June, there would be a switch-over from Greens to TW's or khakis (for EM), then a switch-back some time in the fall.

The old green fatigues were simply a work uniform and were starched-- heavily, I might add! Combat dress was never worn in public and the jungle fatigues we wore in Vietnam were never starched. Woe betide any of my men who managed to work starch into his combat jungle fatigues!

The advent of the beret-- to me-- was a sartorial nightmare. Leave that to Special Forces. Our uniform gurus try to be all things to all people and incorporate every idea ever invented into what's worn now. The army has more crap on that green uniform; I'm surprised they don't allow you to wear multiple combat patches on the right sleeve... run 'em up and down until they reach the cuff! (Oops! I hope I haven't given anyone an idea!)

I do like the idea of the blue uniform; sort of reminds me of the old Indian fighting army. Different width stripes for officers and NCO's, sergeants and corporals; shoulder boards. And a beret...? Maybe in a parade they make you wear the helmet with it, along with bloused desert, jungle, or combat boots (or whatever they're called today). Wouldn't that look spiffy? But with all the unit pins and all the badges and ribbons, where will they put the name tag?

Wait! Here's another idea! On the back, like the NFL!

As for the German army at the train station... uh-huh! Why not? Hey look... the other day I saw guys with their grimy "baseball" hats on, work boots, cut-off T-shirts, and shorts having dinner in a fine restaurant. Why should the military set its standards any higher than our civilian "bosses"? Pretty soon, the bar won't have any lower to go... then everyone should be happy.

Best wishes,
Fred.