Thread: AF Secretary and Chief of Staff Dismissed

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by wm View Post
    Concur. I heartily recommend a read of the Rommel Papers--Rommel's comments about Allied air superiority at Alamein and the subsequent Axis retreat across Libya as well during actions in Tunisia and the Normandy landings is very instructive. Other anecdotal German commentary about fighting in the West and having to deal with the "damned Jabos" (the German name for Allied fighter-bomber CAS aircraft) is further support for Cliff's point.
    I think these fears are starting to get out of hand. Air Force proponents aren't doing the cause any service when they start suggesting they are on the brink of losing any control of the air whatsoever, and US forces in the next war will face what the Germans faced in WW2. I think this is pretty damn far from what the enemy is capable of achieving, regardless of which potential enemy we're talking about. Let's keep it real, ok?

OTOH, if the challenge to American air supremacy is as strong as some would have us believe, the bad guys seem to be doing it for a lot, lot cheaper than the USAF and its contractors are charging the taxpayer to keep its edge. The Air Force is running the red queen's race. Maybe we ought to start buying from their vendors instead of Boeing/ LockMart?
    Last edited by Stevely; 06-09-2008 at 05:56 PM.
    He cloaked himself in a veil of impenetrable terminology.