I am aware of the desires for the additional BCTs but I also was aware of leadership efforts to leverage bringing the TT program here. It was not a pure FORSCOM decision. I would not call it a knee jerk as it was hotly debated.
I saw most of the DP briefs that came out of the work group on where it would rest and why. They were of course .ppt deep and without the value of context from participating. However, Tom makes a great observation above. Moving the mission outside of a purely FORSCOM locale to a shared TRADOC and FORSCOM venue has some real value

- it puts us in a better position to close the instituional loop
- it puts it a location where Advisro training can be integrated with units conducting their pre deployment MREs- perhaps even allowing som initial coordination that might better acheive unity of effort. It would also expose commanders and TTs to some of the frictions each other encounter before they head out the door. Everything from sustainment, to QRF.
- if done right (and I have every reason to beleive the JRTC folks will do just that) it will help get after expectations management.
- in terms of resources it places far more then we'll see at any purely FORSCOM post - no matter how good home station is I've never seen the avialabity of resources or quality of training you find at a CTC.
-it may have changed, but my experience at JRTC was more focused on people then my experience at NTC - so while the physical terrain may favor NTC, the human terrain I think favors JRTC
- In late 03 and early 04 I did NTC and JRTC almost back to back with 1/25th. JRTC provided a more rich experience in a number of relevant ways. NTC had its pluses as well, but looking back I favor the JRTC. While JRTC may have lots of scrub pine and forests, consider what the effects are on command. low visibility, poor comms, cover and concealment for ambushes etc. offer similiar challenges to those of built up areas in terms of fog and friction.
-we say it'll be hard to get quality folks to move down there, but let me ask what is one of the most sought after jobs for post company command? Its an OC at the CTCs. Where do most of your foot and motorized IN, as well as a growing number of other combat arms officers and SNCOs? JRTC. The question is not the location its relevancy. Make serving as an advisor instructor as valuable as an OC and they will go.

Best, Rob